Chapter 12

That night, Pansy and Hermione each lay in their own beds, wide awake and contemplating.

Hermione had been surprised when she'd been brushing her teeth only to be joined by Pansy doing the same thing. When Hermione asked her why, Pansy embarrassedly explained that after brushing her teeth regularly with little Hermione, she now understood why Hermione said magicking your teeth clean just wasn't the same. 

Hermione decided that she quite liked her fun, magical pajamas that had resized to her bigger form, so she was wearing a pair of pajamas adorned with owls carrying letters and parcels. Pansy couldn't decide if it was cute or amusing.

Out of the blue, Hermione spoke, still gazing at the ceiling above her. "That story you told me, the one about Emerale. Did you make that up? Or is it real wizarding lore?"

Hermione heard the rustle of sheets from Pansy's bed as the other teen turned to face her.

"It's real wizarding lore. It's a story that most wizarding families tell their children."

Hermione remained silent. Just as Pansy was about to roll back over and at least try to sleep, she heard Hermione's voice floating through the air.

"I flew on a dragon once," she mused, "I don't know if you heard about it, but we broke into Gringotts-"

"You what?" Pansy gaped.

"Yeah, during the war. Harry, Ron, and I broke into Bellatrix's vault to steal on of Voldemort's horcruxes so that we could destroy it."

"You just... broke into Gringotts. If I didn't know better, I wouldn't believe you."

Hermione bit back a laugh. "It wasn't quite that simple. I polyjuiced into Bellatrix to get through the main parts of the bank, and I had her wand from Malfoy Manor. I... assume Draco told you about that?"

Pansy nodded.

Hermione cleared her throat. "Well, we got to the vault and see that it's guarded by a dragon, and the dragon is chained up and has sores all over it. By the time we made it out of the vault, there was no way out except up, so we freed the dragon and escaped on its back."

"What happened to the dragon?"

"When it landed we snuck away. It needed to be free. You know how I am with this stuff."

"Oh, yes, I remember your house-elf campaign. STEW? No, SPEW. That was... something."

Hermione flushed, "I can't believe you remember that. I have evolved a little bit since then, you know."

The two fell into a companionable silence, broken only by the occasional rustling of covers.

After what felt to Hermione like hours but had actually only been 20 minutes, Hermione spoke softly into the room once more. "Are you awake?"

"Yeah. Can't seem to fall asleep."

"Me neither." Hermione fell silent.

"Pansy?"

"Hmm?"

"I kind of got used to... when I was little... I, well, I got so used to sharing a bed with you when I was four that I don't know if I can go to sleep by myself right now," she rushed out.

Under her breath, Pansy muttered, "Oh, thank Merlin." A little louder, she said, "Alright, I'm coming. Give me some room."

When Pansy was settled into her bed and pulled up against her, Hermione whispered a quiet thank you. Pansy just held her tighter.

--

The next morning, Pansy woke up before Hermione, their legs tangled together and Hermione's head resting on her chest. She knew it probably made her a horrible person, taking advantage of the situation and of Hermione, but she relished in the feeling of getting to hold a grown Hermione in her arms.

Hermione began waking up, so Pansy feigned the same. Hermione pushed herself up, blearily rubbing her hands over her eyes. She smiled sleepily at Pansy.

"Mornin'," she whispered.

"Good morning, Mini," Pansy grinned back, "You ready to face the world today?"

"Maybe once I've brushed my teeth," Hermione chirped with a wink.

"I'd expect nothing less." Suddenly, Pansy sat up straight. "Oh! Before I forget." She rose and went over to her bedside table, pulling Hermione's wand out of the drawer. "I'm sure you're wanting this back."

Hermione cradled her wand in her hands. "I've missed being able to do magic." She wordlessly cast a spell that set twinkling lights on the ceiling like stars.

Pansy let out a low whistle. "That is some impressive magic right there."

Hermione stared up at her lights. "It's my favorite spell. I learned it while we were on the run, hunting horcruxes. Even with wards, it was safer to sleep in the tent. But with all the fear and worry, going to sleep under the stars made everything seem a little bit... lighter, like there was less weight pressing down on me. It reminded me of going camping with my parents when I was younger, before I knew I was a witch. For a moment, I could pretend that it was them sleeping a few feet away from me, instead of Harry and Ron." 

She looked down, as if she just remembered Pansy was there. "Sorry, I didn't meant to get carried away. It's too early for all of that serious stuff."

Pansy caught her hand. "Hey, if you ever want to talk about any of that serious stuff, I'm here for you. Even if it's eight in the morning. Yeah?"

"Yeah. Thanks, Pansy." Hermione lightly swiped underneath her eyes. "Right. Let's get dressed and go to breakfast before one of the boys starts banging on our door. I swear, you'd think they were turned into children instead of me."

Pansy let out a peal of laughter as the the girls pulled out their clothes and began dressing. "I can't even express how often I thought that while you were still four. Especially in potions! Do you remember that first day in class, when you told them off? You reminded me so much of your normal self that I would have thought you were back to normal, except for, you know, the whole four-year-old body thing."

Hermione flushed. "I can't believe I did that. Is that really what I sound like?"

"Well, not often, at least not anymore. But when you were always pulling Harry and Ron in line, definitely."

"Sometimes felt like their mother. It was utterly ridiculous."

"You know, that first night after you changed, Harry followed me when we left McGonagall's office. You were asleep, I'm pretty sure. I thought for sure he was going to protest me taking care of you because I was a Slytherin or something, but he thanked me. Said he knew he wouldn't be able to take the best care of you. I think he knows how much you've done and still do for him."

Hermione smirked, "Besides, when they're not fighting, he's got Draco to take care of him now. Maybe Draco can actually teach him some style. Ginny and I gave up."

"If anyone can, it's Draco."