Prologue

We were riding in her car, windows down, her favorite song turned as loud as the radio would go. I was alright with the loudness because it drown out the uncontrollable laughter that escaped me.

El sang as loud as she could to match the loud music, a song about sugar by a boyish pop band that I'd heard a few times before. They weren't much my style, though.

I enjoyed watching her sing, mainly because she knew how silly she was being and knew how much it made me laugh. I liked to watch her dance and sing along as much as she could without wrecking.

The hot, humid air that blew in from outside reminded me that we were in her state, Louisiana. I tried remembering why we were here, and it came to me after a few seconds of watching her hair whip around her head while she sang, smiling at me.

I had come to meet her family. Having met them earlier in the day, I asked her to show me a famous back road that country music stars continuously sang about, minus the cold beer and jacked up trucks and girls in bikinis. The scene changed from us with her family at a restaurant to now, in her car.

I couldn't remember exactly how her family felt about me. Still, it felt normal. As if this was a normal thing we did on the weekends together. They were my family now, I could sense it.

"Sugar, yes please-" she began to sing again, and again, I burst out in a raging fit of laughter.

She hit me on the chest with the back of her hand, trying to keep her eyes on the road at the same time. "Cut it out!" I grabbed her hand and kissed it, just to have her pull it away from me and gently hit me again. "Don't laugh at me!" she said over the radio and the wind.

In the end, she laughed with me. In the end, we were together.