❁ [Yantao]-Rest

Elegant fingers thread through a river of brunette locks, humming a pleasant tune that went with the still vibe set in Guili Plains that evening. "You doing okay, Tao?" Yanfei sets her novel aside on the picnic cloth and looks down at her lover whose head was nestled comfortably on her lap. Hu Tao's eyes are half lidded as she looks up to meet the seas of aqua that stare back at her. She yawns and scoops up Yanfei's novel just to occupy her idle hands.

"Mmm...Yeah, just really tired..." Hu Tao rests back down the text, and brings a hand up to Yanfei's face, caressing her cheek with adoration in her crimson eyes.

"Sometimes, I wonder what goes on in your head, Tao." Yanfei smiles as Hu Tao plucks a leaf out of her hair and flicks it away, letting the wind strum it along no fixed rhythm.

"How long has it been since you last slept, Fei?"

At the question, Yanfei's eyes widened.

"What? I'm half-adeptus, you know I don't actually require that sort of thing as much as you do."

"That's your excuse for everything. You look tired. Who's gonna be there to back me up when I'm pulling pranks and you're bedridden cause you refused to get some sleep? Someone's gotta make sure the Milileth don't drag me away for having fun again."

Yanfei rests a hand over Hu Tao's and pulls it away from her face, intertwining their fingers and pressing a kiss to her girlfriend's knuckles, "I told you, I'll be fine."

"Don't be like that. Rest with me a little, you never do." Hu Tao shifts, and her hair tickles against Yanfei's exposed skin, eliciting a flinch out of her. Tao pokes Yanfei's side and earns herself a light scolding from her girlfriend for weaponizing her ticklishness.

"Stubborn." Yanfei leans back on the tree behind her defeatedly, letting her head lean to the side with Hu Tao still in her lap. However, she still doesn't close her eyes.

Knowing she's won, Hu Tao can't help but laugh just a little-- she enjoys Yanfei's company, and the feeling is mutual on Yanfei's end. Their love is pure, but bound to end sooner than either of them would like to admit.

"I've seen that look before," Yanfei muses.

"Then you know why."

Hu Tao is still smiling, but Yanfei can tell it's just so she can cherish the moment by the way the grip on her hand tightens, "I really like you, Yanfei. You're like, one of the few that see me as a normal person, which is pretty ironic."

"I love you too, Tao. Let me remind you that Miss Ganyu has also experienced love like ours. She does not let it hold her back. She continues to carry out her duties and passions even with the pain she must endure. It will hurt, but we're both still young. To the other adepti, I'm still a baby." She pinches Hu Tao's cheeks with a soft chuckle. The director doesn't miss the sadness those blue eyes try so desperately to drown out.

"I know. I've seen people come and people go countless times-- I'm the best Funeral Director around, Miss Yanfei," she says with pride, slipping her fingers out Yanfei's hand and stretching her hands out to the sky, reaching for something she'll never have.

"I haven't even lived a hundred years yet. There's so much for you and I both to learn. No matter how many times you come and go, we'll always find each other again." Yanfei didn't know if this was true, but it clearly provided comfort for both Hu Tao and herself. On that note, they let the music of the wind strum harmonious tunes to occupy the silence. It brought many things, the whistle of the wind itself, the melody of the birds' songs and the distant flow of the river.

"Fei?" Hu Tao called, but there was no response. When she raised a little, she noticed her partner fast asleep. "I knew you were tired...That makes both of us." She removes Yanfei's hat and sets it down next to her, reclaiming her spot on Yanfei's lap and drifting off once more.