Carack Ch6 p5

When Sancret finished his story he rose and said he was going to look in the well at Meendhu before retiring and suggested that Gerent go and get some sleep as well. Gerent, who would have liked to ask more questions, decided to follow his advice and the two said goodnight.

Gerent slept well that night and awoke refreshed, the tiredness of his travel gone from him. He lay in the bed with his arms behind his head gazing at the stone ceiling thinking. He thought about Hugh, his home and tried to remember the events that led up to his waking on the hilltop. His twin’s face floated before him, with a slight yellow colour. Gerent recalled with the guilt and sadness he always felt, that his twin suffered from kidney failure and was seldom well. It was almost as though Gerent was over energetic and rushed headlong into trouble to compensate for his brother who couldn’t move about much at all. Gerent almost feared Hugh was dying. He felt it wasn’t fair, Hugh had brains, it shouldn’t be happening to him. Gerent turned his thoughts away from that pain, he thought about Madron, Morvah and all that had happened to him since his arrival. He tried to work out if he could trust anyone and if he was being controlled by magic. But, he decided, that as he had been unaware that Madron was controlling him he could very well be unaware that Sancret was also controlling him. Although, he told himself, he did feel much more himself and at ease in Widnbrea than Netherzoyland, where he felt he had been reaching to be something he was not. After wiggling his toes and stretching, he decided to go downstairs. When Gerent entered the room it was evident that someone had had breakfast but at once a young looking, giggling female Brownie appeared at his feet and asked in a saucy manner what he would like for breakfast. He sat at the table and ate the fried egg on fried bread that she brought at his request, drank tea and then went in search of Sancret. As he entered the hall, he spotted Sancret coming out of a door opposite with his head in a book. Gerent had to speak to Sancret to get his attention as he was absorbed in what he was reading.

‘Oh, Ah, good morning Hugh, I mean Gerent; sorry I am just-’ Sancret seemed to be trying to gather his thoughts, ‘Ah. Look I – You’ve had breakfast I hope?’ Gerent nodded, ‘Good, good, I’m trying to find out how to transpose objects and people at the moment, no one seems to have written anything definitive on the issue. I could invite you to join me in the tower if you wish, I looked at Meendhu last night and he had not reached N’zar, but perhaps if we have a quick look we can find out where they all are now.’ Gerent followed Sancret up the spiral stairs into the tower room, Sancret studied his book all the way, turning pages over and back and tutting as he did so. Gerent wandered to the edge of the room and gazed out over the valley floor below; he walked all round the perimeter of the room looking at the view through the pillars. He saw villages in the distance, a range of mountains in the far distance of the north and rolling hills to the west. He heard a book snap shut behind him.

‘Twaddle, absolute twaddle, made it up I’m sure.’ Sancret muttered.

‘Made what up?’ asked Gerent turning to face Sancret who was tossing the book he had been reading onto a pile of others on the red chaise longue.

‘Oh some tosh on transposing. Here let’s look and see what Meendhu’s up to.’ Sancret went to the well and Gerent joined him, once again he watched the ripples in reverse and the quivering of the water surface and then saw Meendhu and Umberstan trotting along side the three ponies, on which rode N’zar, Wampa and Cam.

‘Oh good,’ said Sancret, ‘they’ve found them and are together. They should be here by this evening.’ He waved his hand over the well and the image quivered out. ‘Now,’ he said, ‘you will have to forgive me I am not used to having guests, what could we do? Um what would you like to do? You see normally I just plod on up here, Meendhu ranges the countryside or torments the Brownies and we met at meal times, if I remember!’ laughed Sancret. ‘You could explore the castle if you like or ride out in the valley, it’s safe enough. If you wanted you could go into Cluston, that village over there in the distance, they have an inn and a market I believe.’

‘Would you come with me?’ asked Gerent looking in the direction Sancret had pointed.

‘Oh, no, I – I can’t. I can’t leave the castle grounds you see and they only extend as far as the foot of the hills that surround this valley,’ said Sancret in an embarrassed tone, pointing out the boundary.

‘Then I shall stay here also,’ said Gerent, he felt it would be less troublesome if he stayed, ‘if I can explore the castle on my own I need not disturb you in your studies.’

‘That would be very acceptable, if you don’t mind,’ said Sancret with some relief in his voice, ‘you can go whereever you wish, anywhere. But please make sure you ask the Brownies to show you their rooms, they’re quite amusing to see, but do ask, the Brownies are so proper you see, and it makes them feel respected, you know. The Brownies seem a little pompous at first but when you get to know them they are good friends to have.’

‘Ok,’ said Gerent, ‘of course I’ll ask, I shall see you at lunch then.’

‘Hmmm? Oh yes, lunch, yes of course.’ Sancret was looking around him and went to pick up the book he had tossed aside a few moments before. Gerent smiled and left him to his studies.