Chapter Fifty-Four | Belief

WHEN THE CARRAIGE stopped, he stepped out, not waiting for the groomsman to open the door. Climbing the steps of the townhouse, he rapped on the door, and seconds later a butler answered.

"The Duke of Lennox, for Countess Westmorland." he announced before the butler could ask him for a calling card.

"Is her ladyship expecting you, Your Grace?"

James shrugged his shoulders, "No, I do not believe so. However, I do have information that she will find very pertinent, and my time is extremely limited." He pulled out his pocket watch, "Please ensure your mistress comes to speak to me in the next two minutes. I'll lead myself into the parlour. There is no need for refreshments to be sent, I won't be staying long."

The butler was well trained. The only sign of his obvious displeasure was the slight downturn of his lips. James brushed past him and began walking towards the parlour. While it was his first time in Westmorland's home, he didn't need a maid to tell him where he should go. Most London homes on the street were similarly fashioned and he'd visited a few before. 

He arrived in the parlour, noting the mute grey colours of the place. He did not bother sitting on any of the furniture. James was sure he'd made his wishes clear to the butler. Lady Westmorland would join him soon enough.

"Your Grace," a stiff voice said from the doorway, as she curtsied.

"Lady Westmorland," he greeted back, bowing slightly.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of your company? Lord Westmorland is not home now."

James ran his fingers through his dark hair uneasily at her words. It seemed that nobody had informed the lady about the departure of her husband, and the task would now fall onto him. His mouth tightened at the unpleasant words about to come out.

"It may be best for you to take a seat before we begin," he stated, waving an arm over the settee.

Vivienne's aunt walked past him briskly before sitting down. Her bright yellow dress nearly blinded his gaze, but he kept it fixed on her dark eyes. Taking a seat across from her, James sighed, "I do not know how to tell you this Lady Westmorland, but Lord Westmorland has passed away."

He saw various emotions flutter over her face, shock, disbelief, and then denial settled in. She shook her head lips thinning, "No, it cannot be. He was merely dropping Selina at the docks. He must have had other business that has delayed his homecoming..."

James cleared his throat, reaching for his cravat uncomfortably. He spoke in the broadest of terms. They had yet to recover the earl's body and even though Wellington seemed to suggest his people would try, James did not think they would be successful. "Regrettably, there was an incident at the London docks and the earl was an unfortunate casualty."

He saw Lady Westmorland's eyes narrow. "This is all because of that chit, isn't it? I always knew she was a good for nothing wrench. Trouble seemed to follow her at every moment. I told him not to take her in, that she would destroy our family, and she did!"

Anger welled up in his chest and the words were out before he could consider being a bit more compassionate for her loss. "This is not because of Lady Vivienne," he said coolly. "I will not listen to you slander her for a second more. I did not wish to share this information with you earlier, but it seems that nothing will appease you. This situation is solely because your husband was a traitorous army solider who got himself involved with French spies who ultimately delivered their promise of death to him."

Lady Westmorland's face whitened. "That is not possible."

James stood up, flicking the lint off his coat undisturbed by her expressions. "It is. The Duke of Wellington and His Majesty have agreed to keep his betrayal out of the papers. However, it will do you good to remember that if you open your mouth, not only will you be the laughingstock of society, but your son as well. I simply wanted to inform you that Lady Vivienne was residing in my house as her injuries were severe, but it seems as though you did not hold her in any high regard."