Chapter 4

"Are you looking forward to your holiday, Kim?"

"What do you think?" Kim Fajardo leaned back in her chair and stretched her legs. She had a hundred things to do before she leaves the office tonight and she knew that her meal with Mika would last longer than an hour. But she had just invited her to lunch because she had worked damn hard in the last two months she'd been with her and Kim felt it was the least she could do to show her appreciation.

Kim smiled inwardly. OK, that was not strictly true... she also wanted to learn more about her. She found Mika interesting. She could not weigh her up. She had felt this way when she interviewed her. Sure, she had learn a lot about the other woman... that she was not the cool customer she thought her to be. She was quietly spoken... a gentle girl. Honestly, Kim taught she was not tough enough for the position --- she was too sensitive, easily hurt, lacking confidence. But she made a valiant effort to hide all these things and she thought nobody was aware of them. There was something in her that made Kim give her the job. Sure she was pleasant to the eyes. She is intelligent too! But there was something more. Her eyes it seems cry out to be saved. So what if she had to make a deliberate effort to give Mika plenty of encouragement? That was no problem at all.

Mika is what Kim would describe as stunner. What a pity she is as straight as a pole... Kim laughed at herself. She wouldn't stand a cat's chance in hell with a girl like Mika Aereen Reyes-Ravena. From what she could gather, and it wasn't much, she had not the slightest interest in the opposite sex... much less to lesbians like her. She was still inlove with her husband... poor kid. This was very obvious to Kim even though she never ever mention the man's name. More than once, Kim had tried to quiz her about what had happened to him but Mika closed up like a clam.

Mika don't go out much either. She works till seven or eight in the evening and only twice had she mentioned that she had been out to see shows--- alone! Her week-ends seemed to be spent doing housework or her washing or something-or visiting her parents or her brother's family. What a waste! What a bloody waste!

"Have you tried skiing before?" Mika asked, her gray eyes dancing with laughter at the way her boss answered her last question. Kim had her back to the window and was sitting behind her desk. Mika was facing her... But the harshness of the morning light was no worry for the secretary. It did wonders for her, as a matter of fact. The boss could imagine what her face would look like by candlelight... she'll find out... soon... Kung walang kokontra [If no one will go against the plan]...

[FLASHBACK]

"How is that for a figure?" Kim made the remark half-jokingly to Vic. That day, Mika had worn that little black dress and was bending over her desk as she wrote down a phone message. The door of the office was open and both bosses could see her.

But Vic had merely flung down the file she'd borrowed and muttered, "You are turning into a lecher in your old age, Kim. If she is a distraction to you, you should not have hired her. Take my advice... DON"T MIX BUSINESS WITH PLEASURE--- if that is what you have in mind."

"What is the matter with you?" Kim retorted, taken aback at her friend's serious tone. "Don't you appreciate a beautiful girl as much as the rest of us? And what is wrong with being naughty once in a while? You're so uptight these past days, my friend. Relax!"

Actually, no one could accuse Vic of not being naughty or of not appreciating beauty. She'd had her share of fun, if you get my drift. She'd probably just got out of bed at the wrong side that day or, probably, she has her period. Her relationship with the Shiela Pineda must surely stimulate her naughty side and her appreciation. Now that is what one call a sexy woman... Shiela Pineda, Miss FHM sexiest woman, an outed bisexual, twice divorced (to a Turkish husband and a Fil-Am wife), and with her sights set firmly on Vic for her 3rd life partner.