⠀⠀06. the yokohama fair⠀⠀

SATURDAY ROLLED BY soon enough, yet Y/N still hadn't received a phone call from Ranpo to confirm that he was coming

SATURDAY ROLLED BY soon enough, yet Y/N still hadn't received a phone call from Ranpo to confirm that he was coming. Maybe she'd gotten her hopes up and he hadn't really wanted to accompany her after all.

I guess I can't force him, she thought silently, a sigh slipping past her lips. Still, she had to admit, the fact that in the end, he had ditched her too stung a little.

Unable to go to yet another year of the fair, Y/N was in a grouchy mood. She made her way to the kitchen, half-heartedly preparing her morning tea for herself (her sweet tooth didn't favour coffee too much). Reaching for the jar of jam-filled cookies she'd baked the day before, she placed some onto a small plate.

It wasn't, by any means, a healthy breakfast, but it would do for the day.

The tea kettle began to whistle, signalling that her warm drink was done. Y/N groaned as she made her way to the stove, wondering why she'd gotten out of bed in the first place. Perhaps she'd go back to bed after she ate.

Yes, she concluded, after giving it a little more thought. That sounds like a nice plan.

The girl sat down on the stool that rested at the edge of the kitchen counter, sipping her tea and munching on her cookies in silence, the only other sound being the rhythmic ticking of the clock.

She was halfway through munching on the last cookie when just then, her phone began to ring. Without looking at the caller ID (she thought it'd be her sister), she picked it up.

"Hello—"

"Y/N, where are you?" She could recognise that voice anywhere—Ranpo. "I'm waiting outside the bakery like you told me to. Not to mention, I'm starving!"

Her eyes widened mid-bite. He hadn't actually left her hanging?

"What? Oh my God, I'm so sorry!" she said hastily. She was wide awake now. "I'll be right there."

Ranpo humphed. "You better give me lots of sweets when you come!"

And with that, he hung up.

Y/N finished the last of her tea in one, big gulp, stuffing the final cookie in her mouth as she rushed to her room, flinging the door of the wardrobe open.

What to wear, what to wear...

Y/N's gaze landed on the outfit she'd hung up on the clothes hanger beforehand, and she mentally thanked her past self for being so organised, because her current self sure wasn't.