Chapter 6 Divided

Talia and Everett followed Nakia through the trees in the dark, escaping the palace before they could be seen. Talia was unusually quiet as she brought up the rear, but Everett knew nothing he could say would make it better. Her childhood horrors were her own, no matter how much he wished otherwise. The only thing he could do was keep one hand clasped around her wrist, keeping her with him as they weaved their way through the underbrush.

At length, however, Everett felt compelled to ask, "What about the Queen?"

"We are going to the Queen Mother and Shuri as we speak." Nakia answered and Everett shook his head.

He hadn't doubted Nakia would save her queen and Shuri first before she came for him and Talia. He would have done the same. Instead, he'd had a different question in mind.

"No, I meant, she's technically regent, right? She was married to the previous king, even before T'Challa." Everett pointed out, only for Nakia to cut him off curtly.

"No."

"No?" Everett asked in confusion. Nakia glanced back at him with sorrowful eyes before she looked back toward where she was leading them.

"T'Challa earned his rightful place as king upon his return to Wakanda. He was rightfully king when he was challenged by this outsider, and since he, he..."

She trailed off. Her inability to finish gave away far more about the depth of her pain at T'Challa's passing. Everett filed away that insight for the moment.

"You mean the Queen can't usurp him." He asked and Nakia shook her head.

"No. The only way would be if she challenged him, but that is suicide."

Everett relapsed into silence as Nakia led them deeper into the forest. Beside him, Talia tugged the red cloak tighter over her head. Everett noticed and he squeezed her hand, before Talia's nose twitched and she glanced off to the side as she heard Shuri's voice from afar.

"First Baba. And now my brother." The princess's voice cracked before she weeped, "Mama, we didn't even get to bury him!"

Nakia moved in the direction from where Talia could hear Shuri's suppressed sobs and another woman - she supposed the Queen - breathing heavily as she too obviously held back tears. Nakia broke through the trees moments later with Everett and Talia right behind her, and Everett flinched as a ring blade was instantly drawn in their faces.

"It's me." Nakia whispered, raising her hands automatically in surrender while Talia instantly stepped forward to place herself between the weapon and her father.

"Nakia." A stately woman breathed in relief but didn't lower her weapon immediately as her eyes moved from her loyal subject to the two Americans. "Who are these people?"

"They are friends of T'Challa's. He saved my life, and she has fought by his side before." Nakia replied quickly, staying her Queen's hand.

The Queen didn't lower her blade and her eyes remained wary as she watched Everett with distrust while she asked Nakia, "Where's Okoye?"

Nakia tensed. And Talia's eyes widened in shock as Nakia admitted grimly, "Okoye's not coming. She and the Dora Milaje will serve the new king."

At this shocking revelation, the Queen seemed to lose energy. She slowly lowered her blade and Shuri huddled beside her mother, distraught. Everett and Talia exchanged uneasy looks while Nakia watched her friends with empathy but also firm determination. Her task was far from done yet.

"Wait here." She instructed, leaving Everett and Talia with the emotionally exhausted Wakandan royals.

The Queen didn't even seem to have the energy left to protest as Nakia slipped away. Instead, she gazed mournfully out into the distance. And Talia's heart clenched with sympathy as the Queen whispered, "What has happened to our Wakanda?"