Chapter Three

Down in the gym, Cahrnage stepped cautiously out of the abandoned office and looked around. No sign of Mayhem or Vi. Still, didn’t mean Carrot Top Junior wasn’t lurking somewhere with one of his babies strapped in a leather papoose on his back.

He listened carefully, taking in each and every sound in the big, underground training center.

Nothing.

He let out a sigh of relief. Thank the Scribe Virgin. Vi must have been too focused on Mayhem to bother looking for him.

The male closed the door behind him and made his way past the rows of exercise equipment and out into the tunnel leading to the main house. He was a bit too wired for dematerialization right now. And he didn’t fancy the intense pain of trying to unscramble his molecules on an overly pumped brain. Demat-ing, as he called it, could go wrong when you didn’t focus and calm yourself. And it had a nasty habit of being a bit of a pain for him under normal circumstances.

Cahr’s long strides took him down the tunnel and to the steps up into the main house quickly. He pushed aside the hidden door and emerged out in the mansion’s foyer.

The place was eerily quiet. Cahr had a feeling Vi’s latest rampage had scared most of the mansion’s inhabitants back to their respective rooms. The only sound was a faint thumping noise that sounded like it was coming from the area of Rhage and Mary’s room. Jeeeezuuuuus...... Looked like Hollywood was up and at ‘em already. Maybe he had a thicker head than they already knew he had. Oh, well. If he was all sexed out by tomorrow night (or as sexed out as the horny ass could get), maybe he’d be a little more forgiving of Cahr’s use of his... well, for using any and all means to keep his ass from being dragon munchies.

Just as Cahr was about to make for the stairs, a bomb seemed to explode at the top of them. A roar of fury echoed throughout the vast expanse of the foyer and engulfed Cahr, sending him to his knees and forcing him to cover his ears.

Holy fucking Virgin! Cahr looked up as the doors to Wrath’s study burst open with a blast of cold air and a body flew out into open space two stories above.

Cahr stood, a warning cry in his throat, but the flying figure managed to land on the stairs and tumble down to the floor below, rather than doing a belly flop that would have earned a ten out of ten in any high dive competition. As Cahr watched, the redheaded form stood slowly, moaning and nursing a split lip, cut eyebrow, and a bleeding nose.

Wrath appeared at the top of the steps. The cold that had filled the foyer intensified until Cahr could almost feel his cock shriveling in his plaid pajama bottoms. The king was righteously pissed, his eyes glowing through his wraparound sunglasses and his long-ass black hair flying around his head. His leather trenchcoat flapped in the chill wind, making him seem ten times larger than he already was. To top off the scariness, his fangs were fully extended, reaching out of his open mouth and seeming to almost touch his chin as he snarled with unrestrained ferocity and rage.

George, the king’s seeing eye golden retriever, scampered out, tail between his legs, to stand beside his master. Behind them, Mayhem stared wide-eyed over Wrath’s shoulder at Vilense, who was wiping the blood from his nose and watching Wrath like a safari tourist watching a rampaging rhino.

“You think it’s funny?!” Wrath bellowed, sounding more like a rabid grizzly than a rhino. His pooch’s ears flopped lower than usual, and he whimpered. “You think it’s funny, do you, that my shellan was scared shitless by you dematerializing in the billiards room with your goddamned, motherfucking cherry bomb gun, gunning for a fellow Brother who happens to be your roommate? You think its funny that she was so scared and pissed that she ran to me in tears, thinking you’d gone crazy for legit and was already prepared to go shoot you down herself? If I hadn’t taken the motherfucking gun from her, you might be dead, though I don’t trust Beth’s aim when she’s panicking anymore than I trust it when she’s fine. She was prepared to put you down herself! Put you down like a motherfucking dog!” His dog whined again. “She thought you were a danger to everyone else! She told all the females to take refuge, fucking told Bella to take Nalla, lock themselves in their room, and let no one in! That’s how bad it was! She fucking thought you were apeshit enough to go after Bella and her young!”