Chapter 12

Third Term

Now that their friendship issues were worked out, they had time to focus on bigger, better things.

Grindelwald's and Hitler's attacks continued over the year, but Harry and Tom didn't let that prevent them from realizing their ambitions. They tirelessly networked, but not a single Slytherin approached them with a partnership or acquaintanceship. Tom seethed and simmered, but Harry supposed that their current treatment—as if they didn't exist—was better than being bullied or harassed.

Harry was sure that some Slytherins, especially Avery, were angry that they had to halt their attacks, but Black had more power than them, and they had to reluctantly accept that. It would be a fool's move to attack a Sacred Twenty-Eight's acquaintances.

They continued to meet with Black, helping him with his assorted assignments, usually for Potions and Transfiguration. Harry grew to appreciate Black, who was much less formal than the other Sacred Twenty-Eight families.

"Hm," Black said, peering down at his essay, notes and textbooks scattered around him. The three of them—Harry, Tom, and Black—were sitting together for their weekly study session in the library. "Dumbledore strikes once again."

"What did you get?" Harry asked.

"What did you get?"

"Exceeds Expectations," Harry responded.

"You?" Black asked Tom, tapping his quill against his desk.

"Exceeds Expectations," Tom said as he reached into his bag to pick out his essay.

"Mmh. I got an Acceptable." Black frowned. "How do you two do so well?"

Harry sighed. "Hours and hours of writing, rewriting, editing, and proofreading. An EE in his class is a straight Outstanding in any other class. Has he ever given a Slytherin an Outstanding before?"

Black scowled. "Of course not. I wish we could get Dumbledore fired. My uncle, who is on the Board of Governors, tries every year but is always declined."

"That's annoying. Have you tried anything else?" said Tom carefully.

"Indeed," Black sighed. "But it isn't that easy. The most we can do is hope that Dippet accepts the request for a formal inquiry."

Harry drummed his fingers against a blank piece of parchment. "I didn't know Dippet liked Dumbledore that much."

"Oh, yes. You'd be surprised at how much power Dumbledore actually holds, mostly from his discovery of the twelve uses of dragon's blood. He was only twenty seven when he discovered it. But his relevancy faded after he accepted a teaching role at Hogwarts. Everyone was baffled when he chose Hogwarts over a tenured position at the British Alchemy Institute."

"He's got more status than I thought," said Harry finally, mulling over Black's words. Tom was nodding thoughtfully. I would have never pinned Dumbledore as being in academia.

"It makes sense then that he's able to get away with what he does," said Tom.

Black jabbed his quill at a marked line on his essay. "Anyways, I need to make revisions. Tom, can I see your essay first?"

"Of course." With one smooth motion, Tom gave Black his essay.

And they fell into an easy conversation, talking and chatting about this and that as they worked.

The sessions piled up, and a few weeks later, they helped Black ace an exceptionally difficult Transfiguration exam. Black had shown them his test, marked with a bright circled EE, happier and more smug than Harry had ever seen him.