Chapter 14

River-

Crystal was dragging my small form along the deserted hospital corridors.

I had long since finished my last cookie, and wanted to ask for more, but I knew better than that. My big sister, Dandy was way more important than some dumb cookie.

Then the corridors started becoming more familiar to me. We were headed back to Dandy's room.

As Crystal softly knocked on the door, I tried to tip-toe to look through the little window in the door. I managed to peek through. I've grown taller! Dandylion would be so proud of me! I'm going to be big and tall like daddy when I grow up.

Then the door opened. Daddy appeared behind the door. What shocked my little eight year-old eyes wasn't his rugged appearance...

Daddy had been crying. I've never seen daddy cry before...

Something big must have happened. I knew that Dandy was dying, I knew that mummy and daddy were worried sick, and... wait, where's mummy?

I didn't get the chance to ask, though. Because once I saw my big sister, I ran over to her sleeping form and crawled into the bed too.

"River, don't wake your sister." Daddy chastised.

"I'm not." I insisted.

I lay by her side and softly hugged her. I would protect my sister no matter what! She had always been the one to take care of me, to play with me, to take me out for ice-cream, to comfort me when I cried, protect me from Billy, the playground bully...

But Dandy was sick now. And it's my turn to protect her. I didn't realise that my grip on Dandy's waist had tightened to the point where I woke her up. Oops.

Dandy hugged me back, tears streaming down her face.

"Don't cry, Dandy. It makes your nose look like Rudolph the reindeer." I said, attempting to joke.

It worked. She laughed and mussed up my precious hair. That was NOT the plan! I eeped and attempted to dodge, but the damage to my hair was done.

And being the 8 year old I was, I sat up, crossed my arms over my chest, and 'Hmph'ed while pouting. Dandy laughed and hugged me from behind.

"I love you so much, River." Dandy whispered into my ear.

I stopped pouting and turned around to hug her back.

"I love you too, Dandylion." I said. Only I was allowed to call her that.

Dandelion-

I don't think words could express my love for this kid in my arms.

Any girl who had him in the future would be really, really, lucky.

And that girl had better cherish this boy, or I would personally kick her ass.

That's if I was still alive by then...

Someone was sniffing. Crystal, to be exact. She was crying, touched by the 'drama show' River and I put on.

Oh... So... we weren't alone this whole while?

Well, that was awkward.

I let go of River. He didn't let go of me though.

"Hey, Crystal." I croaked out. She gave me a small smile. I gestured for her to come over. She came over and sat on the bed with River and I.

"Hey, uh... I'm gonna go grab some food. Anyone want anything?" Dad asked, opening the door.

All three of us shook our heads. He nodded.

But just before the door closed, River yelled "No, wait! I want more cookies!" We heard dad chuckle just as the door closed.

The rest of the day was spent with the 3 of us, just hanging out.

Nate-

"Had fun last night, Luke. We should do it again sometime." I said as I walked towards my bike. I stayed overnight at Lucas's place.

"Yeah, me too." He said.

I gave him a mock salute as I mounted my bike. He smirked back and said "get lost already. How can I miss you if you aren't even gone yet?"

Ah, my old Lucas was back.

I smiled. "Then don't".

I rode off.

As I stopped for fuel, I spotted some familiar faces opposite the side of the street.

After I paid for the gas, I rode over to them...

They were my old street friends. I met them while attempting to slip into a club last year, but failed to. I was 15. They came by, noticed my broken pride, and slipped me right in. They also supplied alcohol.

"Hey Marcus! Andrew! Harry! Tom!" I called. They all looked over at me.

"Hey, Nate! Long time huh. I see my man's all grown up now eh?" It was kinda true. I HAD grown about 12cm taller since the last time I saw them. Which was about 10 months ago. Growth spurt.

I chuckled. "Course I did, old man." Marcus wasn't really old. He was around his mid thirties. He looked upon me as a godson.

Andrew, Harry and Tom were in their mid twenties. Believe it or not, the four of them were related. Andrew, Harry and Tom were cousins, and Marcus was one of their many uncles.

"You here for more booze?" Marcus asked. I shook my head.

"I'm a changed man, Marcus." I said in a very melodramatic tone. He guffawed.

I maintained my pokerface.

"Wait, you were serious?"

I gave him a pointed look. "I go for the girls now" I smirked. He chuckled.

"Just don't catch any nasty STDs, son." He said while patting my shoulder. I snorted.

"Hey, Nate." Harry called. I looked over. "Yeah? "

"That beauty yours?" He asked as he rimmed his eyes over my red motorbike. I chuckled. "Yeap."

Harry looked at me devilishly. Uh oh, I did NOT like that look.

"Wanna race?"

Crap.