Chapter 43

Cleo's POV:

When Via and I walked through the hallway, she shrunk under my arm. I knew how she felt about people watching us. I pretended like it didn't bother me just as much.

It was Friday morning, and my mother had been dead for 4 days. People at school knew. I don't even know how they found out. Some of they looked at me longer, searching my face for grief. I didn't have anything to give them.

I walked Olivia to class with my arm around her shoulder and a stack of books in her arms. In the first row of desks, Daniel was sitting, typing at a laptop. I glared into him before Via pulled me away from the doorway.

"What? We're doing nothing about him?" I asked her. "What he did could get him suspended, you know."

"He hasn't started any trouble since. And if I get the principle involved... I'm just nervous about my mom finding out." I nodded, glancing away. "Don't be upset, please."

I smiled a little and kissed her cheek.

"How could I be?" I said. "You nervous?"

"About?"

"Oh please," I grinned. "As if you've thought about anything but this election for the last 2 months."

Olivia swallowed thickly, rubbing her neck. "I don't know. I mean, I'm ready to know the results, but it feels like all my hard work is over, you know? Like everything I did for this election... it's about to be done."

I nodded before responding. "This isn't the end of anything, Via. If anything, it's a start. You can focus on the rest of your life and not be so consumed by the campaign."

"I don't know," she said. "I like to be distracted."

"Well, you'll have plenty of new responsibilities as president, right? You'll have plenty of distractions."

"That is, if I even win," she said, reaching up to straighten out the collar of my uniform shirt. "But I'm not too worried. My girlfriend knows how to beat people up, so everyone knows not to get in my way."

I chuckled and pulled Olivia into a quick kiss, pushing back a strand of her hair after a moment. "Get to class, Hansen," I said.

She disappeared into her classroom and I continued on through the hall, round the corner, and into mine. I had made a point to show up to school on time now that my suspension was lifted. I wanted to see every bit of Via that I could.

"Cleo," Mr. Swanson said when I walked inside. I was ready for him to talk about my failing grade in his class, but he instead gave me a smile. "I've heard about your mother's passing, and I just wanted to offer my condolences."

"Oh. Thank you."

"I know how rough it is- losing a parent. I can't imagine how hard school might seem for you now. In my class, all you need to do is show up for the rest of the semester, and I'll give you an A."

I smiled at him. At least my mom's death did something good.

"Thank you, sir. That's... That's really helpful."

"Of course."

I sat down in the back of the classroom and slept for the rest of the period.

When I did wake up, it was because the loudspeaker's were booming my principal's voice at the highest volume possible

"Pardon this interruption," he said. "Could I please have my student council president candidates- Benjamin McArther, Alexa Perez, and Olivia Hansen- make their way to the front office?"

I looked out the open classroom door to see Via walking down the hall, toward the principal's office. She seemed stressed. I made a mental note to drive her home that afternoon and stop at the hilltop.

The bell rang and every classroom shuffled out, then in again. I had history, and sort of wished that the news of my mom's death had gotten to this teacher, too. Of course, it hadn't.

"Okay," she said at the start of the lesson, facing my classmates and I. "Can someone tell me an impact that European imperialism had on Africa?"

She scanned the classroom for any students eager to share before landing on me. I exhaled as she smiled at me. "Cleo! Would you like to answer?"

"Not particularly," I mumbled. Her eyes didn't leave mine. I sifted through my memory for what Via had gone over during our tutoring session last week, and finally responded after a long pause. "Uh, Africa developed better technology after Europe's rule."

My teacher blinked, mouth open slightly before clearing her throat.

"Yes, that's right. Gosh, that's probably the most you've ever talked in my class, Ms. Roberts." She turned back the the white board to write down what I'd said before adding, "You should speak more often. Bright girl."

After a few minutes, the overhead speakers came on again with a static crack as our principal's voice boomed.

"Hello, Crestview High. May I please have your attention? We have counted each and every vote from our booths and a student council president has been named." I sat up in anticipation. "First, I would like to thank everyone who voted in this election. Being involved in school wide politics is so important and we're truly grateful. I would also like to thank all of the candidates and sponsors for this election. Now, this year's student council president is... Olivia Hansen."

I wanted to hug her tighter than I'd hugged anybody alive. She did it. She fought hard for this, she was beaten down, and she still did it.

"Our vice president is Cara Jones. Our treasurer is-" he rambled on about the other student body roles as I pulled out my phone.

Me: i knew you'd win :)

I never got a reply.