Breathless

I pulled a sweatshirt over my head before quietly un-zippering the tent and stepping out into the morning

I pulled a sweatshirt over my head before quietly un-zippering the tent and stepping out into the morning. It was still a bit chilly from nighttime, and goosebumps formed on my bare legs, but the sunlight warmed my face.

The campfire had burnt down to a few embers, and the chairs around it were soaked with morning dew. Careful not to wake my sleeping family, I opened the big tub on top of the picnic bench and grabbed my toiletries before heading down to the bathrooms. I was wearing flip-flops, so I had to walk slowly so my feet wouldn't get dirty feet from the gravel road.

The bathrooms always had an awful sewage smell, so I took a deep breath of fresh air before going in. I wanted to make my trip as quick as possible because the campground bathrooms were horrific.

First, I refused to use the toilets. They were that gross. Summers of staying at the campground had taught me how to hold it in, because it was a ten-minute walk down to the lodge where I could use the small restroom that was cleaned regularly.

Second, the countertops were an ugly bright orange, and always damp no matter how hot it got outside. Next, once a bright white, the sinks had faded to a dull yellow and were always littered with bugs, clumps of hair, and toothpaste.

Fianlly, the nasty four-by-four foot shower stalls were never clean. The locks had rusted off years before, so you always had to hold the door shut while trying to shampoo your hair. And, freezing cold was the only water temperature that came out no matter how far the handle was pulled towards hot.

Careful not to touch the counter (something I wouldn't do with a ten-foot pole), I spit my toothpaste into the sink after quickly brushing my teeth. When I looked back up, I dropped my toothbrush in surprise. A boy, around the age of seventeen, emerged out of the first bathroom stall still yawning away his morning sleepiness.

"You know this is a girl's bathroom, right?" I asked him.

He looked up at the sound of my voice and rubbed his eyes as if to make sure I was really standing there. "Well," he said, looking around the room when he realized that I wasn't part of a dream, "I was wondering why there weren't any urinals." Then he walked over to the sink next to mine, and turned on the faucet. My mouth hung open in surprise.

A woman stepped out of the shower stall in only a small towel, squeaked when she saw him, and ran back in. "What the heck are you doing in here?" she shrieked. "Get out!"

He ignored the woman's demands and finished washing his hands before turning to me. "So, what's your name?" he asked. I continued to stare in disbelief. "Um?" he said, sticking out his hand to shake. "My name's Connor." He slowly dropped his hand when I didn't respond.

Connor had jet black hair that had not seen a brush this morning

-

it was sticking up in every direction. He was also a good foot taller than me, which wasn't hard because I was so short. His too tight t-shirt revealed his toned muscles, which were not to big and not to small. But the thing that made me stare at him the most (besides that fact that he was wearing boxers in the middle of a girls bathroom) were his eyes. They were bright green, and sparkled like dew in the morning.