Chapter 31

Note: This scene is broken into three parts. I hope you read all three parts. It's super important! 

Happy reading!

***

Part one

THE DRESS felt rather roomy on Tami as she gave herself one last glance in the car window that played as a substitute mirror.

The view of the courthouse behind her sent shivers down her spine, but yet again she was reminded that she needed to be strong for this.

Raphael’s preliminary hearing was really hard for her. The extra space in the dress proved just how stressful this past week had been. Not to mention the fact that she hasn’t seen him much either. He was either too busy with his lawyer, or too busy trying to keep a reign on the rumours going around, that could potentially damper his image.

However, despite all the stress they both have been going through, this hearing brought them together more than ever. They learnt how to be there for each other, and even if things don’t turn out the way they anticipated, they were more than ready to move forward together—as a couple.

That very thought was enough to have Tami smiling again.

Raphael came down earlier with his lawyer, and she was supposed to meet them there. The mere fact that Raphael was in the building did wonders on Tami’s stomach, as it erupted in butterflies.

But they soon died when a familiar car pulled up. Tami wasn’t surprised, but she still couldn’t believe her eyes.

He stepped from his car in dark shades and a jacket as crisp as French fries, as if he was going on an expensive date or meeting the love of his life for the first time.

Malik’s eyes met Tami’s across the road, and when he smiled at her, she didn’t return it. She couldn’t find the strength to. He was the reason the case was reopened in the first place. The reason why a preliminary hearing was even called, was because both sides are too confused as to if this case should be dropped or not.

On one end, the ‘victim’ wasn’t acting like a victim at all. And that was because Tami didn’t want Raphael to be charged. However, whether she wants to cry victim or not, if there is sufficient evidence to prove that she was indeed taken against her will AT THAT time, a crime was committed and he could be charged. That was what the district attorney explained to Tami when they met earlier in the week.

Tami was good as to not give away anything that could potentially be used against Raphael at the hearing. And since Tami wasn’t pressing charges against Raphael and didn’t get a lawyer to prosecute, the district attorney would have to be the prosecutor in this case.

And her car was the second to pull up just as Tami crossed the road.

Mrs. Richman smiled warmly at Tami before turning to head inside, with a briefcase so thick that doubt nudged Tami for a quick second. Mrs. Richman is good—really good. But Tami had to assure herself that Raphael’s lawyer was good too.

This is it. The moment that had been budding from the night Raphael took her. Will he go free, or will this go to trial, and inevitably send him to prison?

Tami hoped for the prior as clutched her handbag and began mounting the steps.

Hopefully, today will go smoothly, and they will both leave that courthouse as free young people who are in love, as that was what they had been all along.

Raphael’s ultimate goal was to have the case dropped completely. That’s what prelims are for, after all.

“Tami! Tami, wait up!” Tami closed her eyes and took a deep breath as the familiar voice of her friend called from behind her. His feet rushing towards her could be heard also as he fell in line with her steps.

“I haven’t seen you all week. Are you avoiding me?” Malik asked as he caught his breath.

For some reason, this infuriated Tami, as she spun on her heels to face him.

“Really Malik? Could you really be asking me this now? While I’m at a preliminary trial for my boyfriend all because my best friend somehow magically dug up evidence on him, after I so desperately asked you to drop it?”

Tami’s anger took Malik a bit by surprise. He blinked a few times before returning to the life of the living. Tami has never spoken this harshly towards him before, and so it sent him in oblivion for a while.

“Tami, I was only looking out for you. I knew something wasn’t right and I followed my gut. If he took advantage of you even for a day, I want justice for you. Why can't you see it like I do?”

“Because I love him, you idiot!” she bellowed, causing some heads to turn to her. “I love him and I don’t care about what anyone says about that night. I stayed, didn’t I? I could’ve come home but I didn’t.”

“That’s the point Tami. I don’t think you love him. He gave you a lot of gifts, didn’t he? He made you feel special and he trapped you. Can’t you see? Maybe a little time away-“

“Stop it,” she snapped, her anger now boiling even more. “You really think I’m that materialistic? Yes, he showered me with gifts, but that is not the reason why I stayed. I stayed because I love him. And before you get any ideas, he didn’t kidnap me. We planned this trip.”

“A few days before I didn’t even know that guy existed. When you invited me to dinner with him that night, you told me an old friend returned. Look, I know you’re just protecting him, but-“

“Goodbye Malik. I hope in the future, you can respect boundaries and people’s wishes. Because I cannot understand how you could possibly tell me how I feel about him. You know nothing, so best you just leave right now, or lose whatever string that’s holding our friendship together.”

Stunned into silence and conflicted, Malik stood and watched as she neared the entrance. He admitted to himself that her reaction only proved that she loved Raphael indeed, but on the other end he still wanted to save her. Maybe it was a bit much for him to have the case reopened.

Maybe it was his jealousy after seeing how they looked at each other at the funeral. He had looked at Tami that way countless times, but he never received it in return. Then after almost two months of being missing, she returns and looks at another man the way he dreamt of almost every night.

Of course he would try anything to steal her back.

Still, he knew that if he went into that courtroom, he would lose her forever. He was one of the witnesses, after all.

But what else can he do now? He had obviously lost her either way. So if this could be his only shot at saving her from someone he knew kidnapped her, then he didn’t mind her hating him forever. In his head, this was his way of protecting her.

Whether she sees it or not.

---