Six

"Nine kilometers reached. Final lap commencing."

With the back of his hand, Rowen wiped the sweat off his forehead and made a turn towards the park exit at the other side. It was five minutes to seven when he glanced at his watch, and passersby were beginning to traverse the park on their way to work.

Hayleigh was still sound asleep when he left the apartment at the crack of dawn. He'd only gotten a few hours of shuteye after last night, when he was finally able to clear the first stage of the game.

It took six weeks and five days before he got to this point. It was only to be expected of his innocent, virginal student, and now that her modesty was no longer a concern, he was impatient to get the whole thing over with. It was taxing to keep playing boyfriend to a child, and a part of him worried he may have spoiled Hayleigh too much. Last thing he needed was for her to end up actually liking him.

She was too boringly vanilla, it was almost worth regretting. How he was going to clear the next stages with her was beyond him at this point, but he couldn't afford to keep taking things too slow. He had to drive out the hormonal, teenage libido out of that girl if he wanted to win. Things would've been much easier with some bimbo, but no, he wanted a goddamn challenge. What the hell had he been thinking?

Just as his apartment building came into view, his app prompted he'd just completed ten kilometers. He took the emergency exit stairwell up nine floors and took out his phone at the new message from K.M..

He slipped the phone back in his pocket without replying

He slipped the phone back in his pocket without replying. When he arrived at the apartment, he found Hayleigh looking out the wide windows of his living room. She was only in her shirt and panties.

"Good morning," he greeted. She turned around, looking almost startled.

"Hey. I was wondering where you went."

"Sorry, I went out for a run." He approached her. "How are you feeling?"

She dropped her sheepish gaze to the floor. "I'm okay. Just a little... sore, I suppose."

The hickeys he'd left on her were a stark red that peeked out from her shirt. She sleepily rubbed an eye and looked around.

"Do you know where my pajamas went? I can't seem to find them."

"They're probably under the bed." He eyed her panties. "Not that you should still feel the need to wear them."

"I think I do." She weakly laughed. "I'm kinda cold."

"Then let's get you warm." He took her hand and began pulling her towards the bathroom. "Take a shower with me."

"What?" she stammered. "Now?"

He turned on the shower and let it run as he removed his shirt and tossed it to the hamper. Hayleigh's gaze locked on his body as she uneasily bit her lower lip. Good. Maybe she didn't need a lot of coaxing after all.