Part Two: Klub Katya

Slaving over a personal project, you completely lost track of time until the light in your studio began to dim. Sitting upright and stretching out your back, you glanced to the clock and sighed. Time to get ready.

Pushing away from your work table and all its paint stains, you spun in your office chair to stare down your closet. What were you meant to wear to a drag show? You were not really the going-out type, so your party clothes selection was abysmal. You opted for something a little more casual - an off the shoulder black top and some plaid pants. Probably not the most club appropriate but it would do.

You attempted a light makeup look with a red lip, very classic

You attempted a light makeup look with a red lip, very classic. Tucking your phone into your pocket and picking up your purse, you took one last glance in the mirror before skirting back to your desk and sketch book. Noting the address and realising it really was not too far from you, you lingered a little on the phone number. Mulling it over, you figured you'd let Brian know you'd be there.

To: Brian From The Coffee Shop
"Hey, it's [Y/N]! Just letting you know I'll be there tonight! Where should I be to meet the queens?"

After sending that off, you pulled up the maps app on your phone, deciding just to walk to the club.

The night was setting in fast, cold and crisp. It felt like it was going to snow soon. Maybe you should have brought a jacket. Oh well, too late now. The maps told you to turn one last corner, where you were met with whomping music and a collecting crowd. The street was awash in red neon from the sign above the door that read Klub Katya. Briefly wondering who Katya was, you slid into the line, fishing out your ID for the bouncer. The crowd around you seemed like a lot of fun - there were a lot of ladies, but that came as no surprise. There was a lot of support from the lesbian and bi girl community for drag queens. There were plenty of gay guys too, and a spattering of baby queens. Glancing over one in front of you, you stopped short.

"Tom?" you asked. Tom was a friend of yours from your visual arts classes, doing a dual degree in visual arts and theatre. He - well, she - turned slowly towards you, seemingly guarded. "Oh my god, hey!" Now you could see that just as she was talented on a canvas, she was talented with makeup. She looked like a living Bratz doll, full lips, big eyes, a platinum and pink wig styled in spiky 90s buns. "Wow, you look incredible!"

She defrosted some. "Really?" Nodding enthusiastically, you checked out the outfit. "Thank you... What are you doing here?"

"Oh, my god, fun story. I actually met one of the queens who perform here at our coffee place! Well, not in drag, but anyway. We got to talking and I told him about our portrait project. I've been so stuck on it since I don't have a subject. Anyway, he suggested I come by and he would introduce me to the queens to find someone to paint!"

Tom's eyes widened. "How do you always have the coolest interactions! Girl where is my luck? It's not fair," she whined. You laughed together, scooting up in the line. "Wait, so what's her name? I know all these queens, I come here a lot."