catching flights and feelings

Sitting in the window seat of the fifth row, on the left side of the plane sat Iwaizumi Hajime. His black sleep mask pulled over his eyes as he tried his hardest to catch some sleep on his almost ten-hour flight. Though previous attempts had failed over the past hours, his need for sleep was still strong.

The intercom suddenly rang and a nice lady's voice sounded, "Attention passengers, we'll be making our layover landing in Denver, Colorado shortly. Thank you for your patience and for flying Japan Airlines!"

Iwaizumi let out a small groan as he had forgotten about his layover and all he wanted was to sleep. Maybe I can catch some sleep in the airport..? He pulled his mask down and shoved it in his bag as they made their descent.

Slinging his backpack over his shoulder he exited the plane and pulled out his phone, following the crowd of people over to their waiting area. The layover was said to be two hours, which in Iwaizumi's mind was just enough time for a nap.

He settled into his seat and put in his headphones and shuffled the playlist Oikawa had made him as a going-away present. The best friends were now going to be miles apart and Iwaizumi had doubts about fitting in in California.

Letting out a sigh, he turned up the volume and placed his eye mask back on, blocking out the world around him and falling asleep.

~~~~~

"Excuse me? E-Excuse me??"

The voice along with the sudden shaking caused Iwaizumi to wake up. His hair was messy, and the corner of his mouth was dribbled with drool.

The person let out a small giggle and Iwaizumi looked up to see a girl there. She had her hair done in braids wearing a casual sweat-suit, a great airport outfit.

"Oh sorry! It's just that the flight attendants thought something might've happened to you, but you were just sleeping." She smiled at him and he stood up to meet her face to face, his back cracking as he stretched.

"I'm Iwaizumi Hajime." He extended his hand and rolled his neck, the popping sensation continuing.

"Y/N L/N! Just one question though..."

"Why are you the only person in the terminal?"

Iwaizumi's eyes widened, "What?" Frantically looking around, he saw there was no one around him. Grasping for his phone, the time showed many hours later, and the realization hit him-

he missed his plane.

With a groan and a slap to the forehead, he collapsed back into his seat with head in hands.

"I have to be in California tomorrow." He grumbled. "Cali? No way, I'm going there too!" Y/N smiled with a look of excitement on her face, "My flight isn't for another two hours. You can buy a ticket and we can go together!" She had a point, and it wasn't like Iwaizumi to hear a good plan and ignore it. "Thanks for the help." He grinned and went to grab his luggage.

They walked to the ticket counter, and he scraped together enough for his one-way ticket. Thankfully it wasn't too expensive.

"Of course we won't be sitting together, but it's not about the destination, it's about the journey!" Is this girl for real?

"You know, that was probably the cringiest thing I've ever heard."

She rolled her eyes at his statement, and they kept walking around the airport.

~~~~~

Approaching their terminal, Y/N spotted a coffee shop. "Hey, you wanna grab some coffee? Y'know, so you don't fall asleep again." She winked, and he gave her a playful nudge. "You remind me a lot of one of my friends back home."

This piqued the girl's interest. "Oh yeah? Who?"

"Oikawa." He said in distaste, but in reality he was reminiscing on all the fun times he had with the guy, and the distance between them had finally hit Iwaizumi like a ton of bricks.

"He sounds like a good guy." She smiled and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. He nodded and the corners of his mouth lifted slightly into a simple smile. "He was a dork, but yeah, he's the best." The two stood there in comfortable silence, wading in front of the coffee shop.

𝐄𝐍𝐃