Chapter 10 - Wilhelm

'Wilhelm?' I hear my mom knocking on my door, waking me up from my sleep. 'Can you come out? Your father and I have to discuss something with you.'

'Yeah, just a minute, please.' I get out of bed. Somehow I feel hangover from last night, even though I didn't drink any alcohol. It's more like an emotional hangover, I guess. I ruined the perfect night by sending Simon away. I was a coward.  As I usually have been, lately.

I get ready and walk downstairs. When I enter the room, I immediately sense this is going to be a serious conversation. Is this about last night? I thought they didn't notice that Simon was over, but maybe they saw him run away? I get anxious and try to get my breathing under control.

I take a seat and look at my parents. 'So, what do you want to talk about?' I ask. My parents exchange looks before my mom starts talking. 'Wilhelm, your father and I have been discussing your schooling situation. We would like you to exchange schools.'

No way. This can't be real. 'You can't be serious,' I say. My dad looks down on the table. He always lets my mom do the talking. She continues: 'we both think that we can't trust you at Hillerska anymore. It's simply enough not safe for you to stay there.'

'Safe for me?' I raise my voice. 'Safe for you and your reputation, you mean. Hillerska has made me feel more safe than here, at home!'

'Wilhelm, you know you can't control yourself when you're at that school. Being at the same place as that... as that boy is just not responsible right now,' my mom says.

'This is bullshit,' I say when I stand up.

They don't respond. 'So, what are you going to do? Drag me across the country and let me start over, again?! Hillerska was also a start-over, I believe.'

'Actually, the boarding school we think is a good option for you isn't in Sweden. It's in England.'
My dad has finally opened his mouth.
'In England?! Are you insane? Why would I move to fucking England? No way in hell that this is happening,' I yell at him. I try to storm out of the room, but when I walk past my mom, she grabs me by my wrist, forcing me to stand still.

'Wilhelm, this wasn't a question. The decision has already been made. You start in two weeks.'

-------------------------------------------------------

Today is the first day of school since our Christmas break. Ironically, it will also be my last. The past two days have been filled with heated arguments, shouting, begging and eventually giving up. My parents have made this decision and there's no way to convince them, I discovered. I have been trying to call Simon to tell him about the situation, but he doesn't pick up.

So I have to talk to him today. I'll explain the situation and we will come up with a solution, together. That way, I won't have to make the statement my parents prepared for me about leaving Hillerska.

I'm in front of the school, looking around for Simon. When I spot him, I notice he's not alone. He's talking to August, and it seems like a heated argument. Simon storms off in my direction, without seeing me. This is my chance to talk to him.

'Simon,' I shout. He looks up and sees me. Shit. Maybe this is not the right time, he seems really mad. 'Not now, Wille,' he shouts back.

'Please, I only need one moment with you,' I beg him, pressing my hand against his chest. He stops walking. 'Wille, I said it's not a good time. I just found out your lovely cousin is the one who released our video.'

'Oh shit,' I whisper. 'I'm so sorry, I meant to tell you-'

Simon cuts me off. 'Oh yeah, you meant to tell me last night, when you basically pushed me out your window, right?'

For a second I get speechless. 'I-I..' I stutter.

Simon calms down a bit. 'I know you're sorry, Wilhelm. But I've heard you say you're sorry a thousand times before, and nothing has changed.' He looks down on the ground. 'I think we were both being foolish when we thought we could be a couple.'

I do not like the way this conversation is going. I get a massive lump in my throat and Simon starts tearing up as well.

'I'm sorry, Wille,' he whispers. 'But I can't do this. I've told you before that I can't be your secret. I love you, but we are over. For good now.'

I feel all the strength in my body drain away. This is it. 'No, no, please,' I whisper. I start crying. 'There has to be another way. Let me fix this.'

He bites his lip and looks away. 'I'm sorry. I have to go, I have to talk to Sara. I'll see you in class.' 

A tear runs down his cheek before he gives me one last look and walks away.

For a couple of minutes, I just stand still, not knowing what to do.
I open my phone and call my mom.

'Mom? It's Wilhelm. I changed my mind,' I tell her. 'I'm fine with the boarding school in England.'