two

Zahir

Sun peeked through my blinds.

A sigh emerged from me, as I pushed away from the window, turning around to face the wall. I laid there for a few minutes until I felt a sense of air hit my cheek. And I didn't turn on the air last night.

My eyes opened to see a pair of curious hazel ones staring at me, I sighed deeply before closing them again. Unbothered to the invasive privacy. I was used to that after gaining siblings, they invaded a lot of shit. The main one being my space, along with my room.

"What do you want, Aurora." I mumbled quietly.

"Are you really getting married?" She asked, softly.

I should've known it was for something like this, everyone was starting to get curious of what was happening with the oldest son. Or 'Il principe oscuro' is what they loved to call me in the famiglia.

The dark prince is finally walking down the aisle, and other things the majority of them will never say to my face or out-loud to anyone. But it was the talk of the streets in New York, so many people found out.

However it got out of hand that my sister found out before my parents could announce the news to the family.

A sigh escaped from me, as I rubbed my face to rid myself of the sleep that was threatening to overtake me once again. I sat up, pulling her small body into my arms, while looking down at her.

"Who told you that, sweetheart?" I asked her, gently.

Her giant brown eyes, that matched my mom's, looked up at me.

"A bunch of girls at school told me, and it was going to be like a royal wedding." She answered honestly, playing with her fingers.

"Don't listen to rumors, okay?" I addressed that.

"But..." She started.

I stopped her before she could even finish. "You don't ever have to listen to what people say about your family, because it doesn't matter. You're a Malik. We don't let other people guide us, okay?"

She nodded enthusiastically. "Okay."

Now that was settled. "I am getting married."

Aurora looked at me happily, her rosy cheeks turning more red whenever she got excited.

"I'm so happy, Bear!" She yells out a nickname that she gave me when she was a baby, since I used to hug her tighter and a lot more secure than everyone else had done it.

They were all afraid to squish her, and treated her as if she was fragile. Meanwhile, I made to show her that my love for her is deep.
Once she learned how to talk, she referred to me as her own personal bear. And the nickname was still here, after four years.

"I'm happy that you're happy, sweetie." I caressed her cheek.

She smiles brightly. "Is it a princess?"

Her mind was the only secured one in this entire family, being made of fairytales and things we didn't have the luxury of having whilst growing up.

Lano came in the midst of a storm, and Lila experienced her very own trauma, dealing with men after her grandpa's death. The only one that was secured in having a childhood was Aurora, which everyone aimed to keep as tightly as possible. We didn't have it, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't...

"You're the only princess in my life." I averted the subject.

She frowned. "I'm too young and what about mommy?"