Chapter 4- The Unexpected Return

Some of the text within this chapter includes the actual script for the episode Tell It To The Frogs. I in no way lay claim to it being mine. The script belongs to CW.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Words failed me as I stood there, my bow slack in my hands as I stared. Blinked. Heat built up on my waterline, unable to determine whether maybe this was a dream. Maybe I would wake up and find myself back on the forest, asleep, and this has been just another dream. Hell, maybe I'd go one step further, and wake up in my bed back home, this whole mess of a world just the result of a dodgy taco and one too many late night scary movies.

But with the pain in my back glaring, and the sounds of birds in the trees, I knew this was real.

Rick looked exactly the same as the last time I'd seen him, if perhaps a little thinner. But for a man who had been in a coma for months and had emerged to find walkers roaming, he looked pretty damn good. He was dressed in an over sized shirt and jeans, looking like reject of a 90's boy band; but with that kind smile that had helped me through so many dark days--

Seeing my tears, Daryl's eyes narrowed on Rick, clearly not trusting who he deemed a stranger.

"Aria." Ricks voice snapped me from my disbelief.

Without warning, I dropped my bow and launched into his arms. He caught me, engulfing me in a hug that had a laugh escaping my lips. With that hug, the sheer shit storm the world was in lessened a little. It hadn't claimed one of the people I cared about. There was hope.

"Good to see you kiddo," he whispered with a smile, pulling back and brushing my hair from my sweat covered forehead. "Thank you. For looking out for them."

"Of course," I choked out. "Please don't die again. I don't think I can handle it."

"You have my word."

Shane broke the moment. "As great as this is, where the hell were you last night, Aria!"

My eyes narrowed a little, but I said calmly, "Getting food for the camp, Shane. Doing my job."

Shane's glare turned on Daryl, who simply gave him a dirty look. "At night?"

Daryl stepped forward, drawing Rick's cautious  gaze. "You wanna maybe shut your trap and open your eyes, Officer Motormouth? There's your damn evidence."

I risked a glance at the decapitated walker on the ground. The carcass of our deer was almost fully torn apart on one side, with bite marks everywhere. I groaned in annoyance, gripping the bridge of my nose. "Oh for fuck's sake," I muttered, running a hand down my face.

Daryl kicked the body of the walker on the floor, mumbling a string of curse words with every kick.

A part of me felt like joining in.

Dale gripped Daryl's arm and urged him to stop. "That's not going to help matters, son."

Daryl scoffed, ripping his arm from Dale's grasp. "What do you know about it old man? Why don't you take that stupid hat and go back to 'on golden pond'? We've been tracking this deer for miles. Gonna drag it back to camp, cook us up some venison."

He glanced down at the carcass, then to me. "What do you think?" He gestured with his knife. "Do you think we can cut around this chewed up part right here?"

I gave an unconvinced shrug, to which Daryl shook his head.

Shane piped up, "I wouldn't risk it."