The Punishment

Mandarin was surrounded. Ogres were coming towards him from all directions. And even though Mandarin did not understand any ogre’s facial expression, he knew they were angry. All ogres were quite tall, almost ten feet. Actually, they were very much like thick tree trunks and their hands and legs were human-like but upon cutting, they could shed the damaged layers of skin as if they were loose clothes until unless cut deeply when dark red blood, darker than humans’, began to flow as the cut began to affect the body. They were all dressed in tailored human clothes. A small memory of the past reminded me that these ogres were skilled with hands and had probably created them on their own. This would be interesting, I thought. It would be wise to get quiet now and watch it all unfold.

The ogres surrounded the cautious Mandarin around the center of the swamp, where once the vial of Water of Life was kept. Mandarin kept chanting a death spell in case any of them attacked him beforehand.

Then, to Mandarin’s surprise, their chief, identified by his pale skin and unusually taller height, spoke, “Welcome, heir of the Sorjanims. Even though you are hostile to us, we have been asked to let you go. However there is a condition you must fulfill.” Probably intended as a joke but now a custom, the chief of the ogre village, except by their close ones, which may or may not include their family, was to be always referred as Chief.

Mandarin was confused. He did not stop his chanting while trying to figure out who asked to let him go. As far as he knew, none of his servants could match an ogre and no enemy would ever let him escape from such a trap unscathed. He simply asked in his cold voice, “Who asked you to let me go? What do you want? Do speak carefully because I do know spells which can defeat you all very quickly.”

There was a loud growl around him and Mandarin began to chant a spell. But he never got the chance. “Quiet”, the chief yelled and even Mandarin obeyed him before realizing that he did so. He continued, “I am forbidden to reveal the name of your well-wisher. But you will know when you meet this person. The condition is that you will never ever hurt any ogre or step in this land until you mend your ways. I had decided to let you go this time but your hostility does not support my belief. You can try to attack us but let me assure you, you would not be able to escape this place alive. I, therefore, sentence you to an eight-round fight with ogres. You may leave then, if you are able to. I shall, however, protect you from death, unless you suicide.” A huge howl erupted in support and even the chief couldn’t resist a grin at the thought of Mandarin facing the ogre tournament.

Mandarin was relieved in the inside. He knew that it would be hard but he knew he would win. Just then, a cool breeze blew and he realized something was different. The sky was clear. It was not raining nor was there spring in the swamp. His weather connection seemed to be broken. The chief noticed his preoccupation with the sky and said to him, “All of the magical places like this one are unaffected by your spells. You may be the most powerful wizard of the island but you are not more powerful than the magical Nature.” In a very low voice, I heard, “Yet.” It was so low that even Mandarin’s advanced senses couldn’t have heard that.

Although it should have annoyed but Mandarin felt quite relieved. His feelings would not be revealed to the others. His scheming would be only his secret. He also noted that he was acting quite oddly since hearing his prophecy. He warned himself. This change of behavior could become his greatest mistake. He also thought about the emptiness he was experiencing since the fight with the rebels but decided to ignore because it wasn’t really important at the moment.

“I will let you also have the Water of Life if you defeat them but if you lose, you will have to permanently give up one of your spells.” The chief added. “This is on a special request by an old friend.”

Then he turned to his fellow ogres, “Take him to the chamber and prepare for the first round of the competition. This is our chance to prove our true strength. Let’s show this wizard that we are powerful than them.” There was a loud howl in support from the crowd.