Chapter 5

Ryan sensed the upcoming force of Randy’s swing of the leg, and immediately reacted to the feeling in his gut. He maneuvered his body around, his hands taking grip of the foot with precision and twisting the limb in an unnatural angle during the process. In a sudden movement, he jerked Randy’s leg to the right. The sound of a bone breaking accompanying Randy’s scream echoed throughout the otherwise silent alley.

The older man hobbled away from Ryan whilst trying to keep his broken leg from touching the ground. Ryan slowly got up with the twitch of a smirk ghosting on his face.

His appearance had truly changed. The brunette’s hair had transformed to the shade of jet black. His eyes grew narrower and jaws grew sharper. A malicious aura emanated from him, the glowing red within the boy’s chest only adding to the ferocity.

“I didn’t hear you so well at first. You said you wanted to fight?”

“...Yes.” Goosebumps rose all over Randy’s arm. The thought of fighting against the almighty Javeken sent his head spinning. This was actually him after all, just embodied in the form of a helpless teenager. Randy knew it wouldn’t be a piece of cake to defeat his opponent. He’d have to plot a smart scheme, each tactic attacking the boy’s weaknesses, until Ryan finally fell to his knees in surrender and helplessness. Yes, that was the reality he wanted. Not this one.

Ryan stared into Randy’s eyes while waiting for his rival to ready himself. Half of a playful smile adorned his lips as he declared, “You can go first... Since you’re weaker, of course.”

A shiver that ran down his spine from the demon’s gaze didn’t go unnoticed. Randy was rooted to the spot, completely hypnotized, helpless until a voice hollered from within his head, Don’t let him get to you! A reminder was what it took for him to break from the spell. Randy moved himself away from the boy and tottered towards the van as fast as he could. You’re right, Mauril, he replied to the entity inside him.

At last, we have a worthy opponent. Mauril cooed, Yes, after years of killing useless weaklings, it’s going to be a real pleasure for me to finally unleash my full potential on someone as prized as Javeken.Let’s show this child just how strong we really are! Give it our all! There’s no space for precautions in this world.

Randy let out a scream and began to charge towards the boy who stood idle. As he advanced closer, Randy’s skin darkened, eyes morphing into a raging red color. Crooked wings sprouted from his shoulder blades and his fingers contorted into sharp claws. Tips of his teeth were shaped into refined points. His previously broken leg mended itself.

“I’m coming for you, Javeken!” he growled hoarsely.

Randy drew to striking distance from the boy, and swiped his extended claws towards the smaller body with enough speed and force to hurl Ryan’s body into the wall at the end of the road. “Feel the power of a full possession, boy! There is no hope of you ever defeating the level of power I’ve attained through many years of training. Submit now, and I may show you mercy.”

Ryan gradually stood up. His wounds were healing, but blood stains remained on his shirt that revealed the intensity of the assault.

He stared into Randy’s eyes. “I don’t need any mercy from rats like you,” he reminded.

“You still have the nerve to be sassy, even when you know you are going to lose? Brace your suicidal self then, for I will destroy you faster than you can regenerate each limb I tear apart.” With that, Randy launched a second attack targeted at the center of the boy’s chest. Ryan dodged every strike with nimble feet accompanying graceful choreography. Randy’s powerful blows were each sent to the wall behind him, crumbling more and more from every attack.

Randy was beginning to feel exhausted. “Stop dancing around like a fly,” he snarled, leaning against the wall.

Ryan stopped in his tracks. He looked at Randy, an evil glint in his eyes, and smiled knowingly. “As you wish.”

As soon as those words left his mouth, Ryan took a step back. Subsequently, the entire left wall of the alley, weakened by Randy’s attacks from moments earlier, collapsed.

Ryan witnessed Randy’s eyes wandering upwards and growing wide. He’d barely absorbed the scene when chunks of concrete crashed down onto him, burying him under the pile of rubble. A thick red fluid seeped out from the cracks of the debris, and pooled under the soles of Ryan’s shoes.

“Well, good thing I decided to watch from the van,” a voice said as a figure emerged from the darkness.