Sleepy Kojiro

Ten years ago, when the pair were drunk teenagers making out in Joe's childhood bedroom, Cherry had been the one to say don't read into it. And yet, there they were a decade later, Cherry's hand buried in Joe's hair, massaging lightly as they cuddled in their shared apartment. Joe released a long sigh of content, slurring, "that feels good."
          He was practically sitting in Cherry's lap on the sofa, chest to chest, Joe's head resting on Cherry's shoulder. They'd both had long days, though, with the recent spike in customers at Joe's restaurant came a whole series of overly picky, somewhat abusive customers that could never be pleased. Joe had worked overtime every day for the past few weeks, slowly draining every ounce of energy he had left. Now, he was left exhausted and desperate for peace, for a moment of quiet. Naturally, he sought such comfort from his gorgeous boyfriend, who was more than happy to comply.
         "'m tired..." he muttered, wrapping his thick arms around his boyfriend and squeezing.
          Cherry smiled up at Joe, something unexplainably softer in his expression. By the time he looked past his boyfriend's shoulder to the tv droning on in the background, Joe was fast asleep, breathing deep and even.
          Poor thing, Cherry thought, wishing that he could do something to make things easier for his boyfriend. Perhaps he'd pick up some extra clients and save some money to take him on a small relaxing vacation—one without the kids and their fanatics. And he'd beat the shit out of everyone who gave the love of his life a hard time.
          He hadn't realised that his hand had stopped moving until Joe's eyes cracked open, head pulling back so that he could meet Cherry's sugar grey ones.
          "You okay?" He whispered, tucking a strand of pink hair behind Cherry's ear.
Cherry chuckled, kissing Joe on the forehead.   
          "Sorry my love, go back to sleep."
          He repeated, "you okay?"
          Cherry's heart clenched at the sight of Joe barely keeping his eyes open for the sake of Cherry's useless well-being. He watched Joe's head unknowingly fall forward, destination set for the ready arms of his boyfriend, only for him to jolt awake again a moment later.
          Joe repeated this process perhaps 10 times before Cherry, doing everything he could to repress his giggles, finally muttered: "I'm okay," tangling his long fingers in the loose strands of Joe's green hair, who sighed in content.
          It took a total of thirty seconds for Cherry to once again feel Joe slump against him, head lolling until it fell into the warm crook of Cherry's neck. Cherry had never seen this side to Joe—this whole other soft, cuddly person. Or perhaps he was the same as he'd always been and Cherry had just never noticed.
          He began kneading small braids into his lover's hair, enjoying the lack of protest or banter. Cherry would give up his life to stay in that moment forever—to be able to hold and care for and be with the love of his life until the moment he exhaled his final breath.
          "I love you," he whispered, pressing gentle kisses against Joe's temple. "I love you, I love you, I love you."
          He twitched in his sleep, lips subconsciously connecting with Cherry's collar bone in return.
          "Damn it," Cherry sighed, recognising how immeasurably smitten he was.
          Don't read into it, he had once told the love of his life.
          Thank the gods neither of them did as they were told.