Chapter 02: The King

CASSIEN

"MAISIE ISN'T a liar," I firmly said, intently meeting Ranpo's eyes who just spoke ill of my friend. "Hindi siya gumagawa o nag-iimbento ng kwento."

Seryoso kaming nagkatitigan nang ilang sandali. The frigid air wasn't enough to hinder the tension building around us. I've barely talked to this lad before in our classroom nor anywhere and haven't least make out of his character. If he calls himself a detective by dropping such conclusions as that, especially when it comes to Maisie, his life was a joke.

Siya ang unang kumalas sa staring contest namin. He then adjusted his specs through the bridge and shook his head unbelievably. I can't help but to show my victory smile. Huh! Kung salungatin niya ang sinabi ni Maisie, akala mong nando'n siya sa hospital kanina. Where was he when we interrogated Maisie? Sitting here idly, waiting for the news to arrive and breathing the cold air from the air conditioner?

"Akala ko utak mo lang ang mahina," he said which surprised me. "Pati rin pala pandinig mo."

Eh? Ano'ng sabi niya?

I was about to charge him but Conan halted me. He flashed an awkward smile and said, "Nag-j-joke lang siya."

What? I scoffed. Kung gusto niya kaming patawanin, pag-isipan niya muna ang joke niya kung may mao-offend na ba siyang tao o wala!

Kahit totoo man 'yung sinabi niya, nakaka-offend pa rin!

"I can't recollect a moment wherein I said your friend was a liar," Ranpo continued and put his hands together whilst elbows were over the table. "She was also driven to believe that there was car from the other line."

"A sound recording, huh. Probably a cassette tape." Newt spoke with a monotonous tone and laid his ass on the couch. He was about to take his eye patch off but when he gave me a quick glance, he stopped. Sayang! Gusto ko pa namang makita kung anong nagtatago sa likod ng puting eye patch na 'yon.

Teka, ano raw? Sound recording?

"Ranpo, paki-explain naman, please?" Conan requested. 'Tapos ay bigla siyang napalingon sa 'kin. "Hindi lahat ng nandito ay matalino."

Oo na, tanggap ko na. Huwag niyo nang ipamukha pa sa 'kin.

"Princess," Newt called out kaya napatingin ako — wow, kinakarir ko na talaga ang pagiging prinsesa, a. "You asked us earlier whether it was normal that the angel didn't fly over when she got hit. Now, our answer is no. We're about to give you the explanation why."

"There was actually someone around Ava when she crossed the street."

I thought there was no eye witness? Sabi na nga ba!

"Whilst crossing and talking to her friend, someone behind her suddenly played the recording — which was an engine of a car, racing fast — with a loud speaker that even Maisie Beja from the other line heard. The suspect quickly hit her head with a blunt object and then cut the call. He left her laying on the lane. As simple as that, stupid," Ranpo explained.

"Kaya pala nasa pedestrian lane lang siya . . . kasi hindi siya nabangga!" I exclaimed. Parang akong nasa madilim na daan noon ta's nang in-explain nila, the street lights switched on.

"Have you told the police?" tanong ni Newt.

Ranpo shook his head and smiled softly. Nanahimik naman kami na para bang pinoproseso ang katotohanang binitiwan niya. And by the way, why hasn't he told this to the police?

"Cassien, it'd be best if I take you home," pagbasag ni Conan sa katahimikan. "Kami na ang bahala ro'n. Mula ngayon, don't ever stick your nose to this business."