Luke's POV. 26

Luke

The next following days, felt endless.
We had finally gone back to strangers. To boss and intern. To nothing more than professionals who worked at the same place.
Sometimes we both locked eyes when we met at the Lobby. But it was for a short time.
I always saw her laughing with Dave or other co-workers she has gotten along with. Always noticed how focused she was while she worked on her own space. Always when she worked out with her new coach.
Always when she went to that coffee in the corner of the street, and stayed there for hours until she went back home.
I tried to stop my stalking after the two days we spent detached from the other.
The deal was done. I reminded myself thousands of times, that she was not mine. I had no right to follow her, neither sent her gifts that I knew she was going to reject after all.
But well...don't they say it's worth the try?
I was going to make her talk to me. And I needed it before she left to college.
So I did send her everything she needs. Or wants.
I took a seat in the lobby meanwhile, passively I drank my coffee and answered emails. Unbothered and relaxed until I heard determined footsteps near me.
I didn't even bother to see who it was.
"What do you think you are doing?"
Her voice fulfilled my wishes.
"Good morning, Ms. Salinger. How have you been?" I said meanwhile, I continued typing.
"Luke. I'm serious."
"What? How do I feel? I feel good. It's quite a beautiful morning actually."
I fought a smile cause I knew she was growing irritated. "A man came to my apartment to give me a new car. Are you out of your mind?!"
I finally turned to look at her and smile. "It's your birthday gift. Surprise," I sarcastically said, already straightening to face her.
She wore a pink dress and her hair was fixed into a low bun. God, she is beautiful.
"My birthday is in three months."
"Well, see it as a reward."
She furrowed her eyebrows and crossed her arms. "Reward for what?"
"I don't know," I shrug, "Good performance?" I smiled.
"What is this for? Last Wednesday a guy came while I was shopping in the supermarket and gave a...a beautiful necklace with a blue drop pendant. And yesterday I called you because—" She threw her hands in the air. "Another man came to give a credit card under your name!" She shook her head and took a step closer. "Who do you think I am? Your wife?"
"Don't you wanna be?" I mocked her with my eyebrows as she rolled her eyes.
"Are you feeling guilty because of what we did? Or how you left me feeling?" She sighed and rubbed her forehead. "I'm okay, alright. I don't need your money or expensive gifts to make me feel better."
Suddenly her expression changed and she looked at me with wonder. "Or wasn't one time enough for you?"
I clenched my jaw and before I could answer a girl came to quickly remind her of tonights plans.
"We will meet at my place at seven! Call me if you get lost." She finally glanced towards me and froze.
I looked at her with curiosity after the words she said, and that's when she realized who I was. She quickly apologized and left with nothing else to say.
"Are you going out tonight?" I suddenly said, crossing my arms like she was.
Who is copying who now?
"I am and you better not show up."
I smiled knowing for sure I was going to follow her, or at least check that she's safe.
"You think I'm going to follow you?"
"I know that you can and will. After giving me all these stuff—" She points at the keys in her hand. "I know what you are truly capable of doing it." She suddenly smiled at me back. "You think I haven't seen you walking by my office?"
I forgot that she is also my stalker.
"Must have been another guy."
My gaze traveled through her body, and her cheeks blushed.
"You were saying?"
She shook her head and finally left me behind.
I regarded her lovely legs until my name was called.
"Luke Huxley, glad to see you again."
I turned around and prepared myself for the next longest meeting I'll have.