Ch. 16 - Panic Attack

THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS WERE A BLUR

THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS WERE A BLUR. Even though I didn't go to school, I was still busy with other issues.

My mother said that she could reopened the case after Thanksgiving break, and she would come up to New York to help out with everything.

Now, it's Saturday and I leave for my hometown tomorrow morning.

I talked to Lucy, but Damien has been keeping his distance which makes me upset. I hope he realizes that I'm not going to use them like everybody else in their lives does.

I'm in it for the long, bumpy road ahead. I'm not going to ditch them when things get hard because they are going to get tough when the trail starts.

"Okay, well, I'll call you soon. Yeah right. Okay bye," my uncle ended his phone call as he opened up a cupboard to retrieve a coffee mug.

I was sitting on a bar stool, eating cereal while watching a movie on my phone.

"Hey, Micheal, are you ready for tomorrow? I know you miss home," my uncle asked, opening up the fridge to grab his coffee creamer.

I nodded,"So ready. Is Maya going to be there? I knew she was trying to make it, but that's the last thing I heard from her."

"She is, and Alec is coming along as well," he replied before his smile dropped a little.

"What's wrong?"

Sighing, he ran a hand through his neat hair. "I found somebody."

I raised an eyebrow in surprise. My uncle hasn't really dated anybody since he got a divorce from Jessica, who is Maya's mother.

Nobody has heard from her either. She kinda just feel off the face of the earth. But neither Uncle Nathan nor Maya say anything about it.

I think they like it better that way.

"Wow. That's good," I said with a smile.

"Yeah, but I don't know how Maya's going to take it. I feel like she would be happy for me, but at the same time, I feel like she would be upset that I moved on from her mother. I don't want to hurt her."

"The only thing I can tell you is to tell her the truth because if she were to find out that you have a girlfriend and you didn't tell her, she is going to be crushed."

My uncle gave me a side smile,"Thanks, kid. So, what you got planned today?"

"I am going to finish up packing my suitcase then I'm going to probably watch a couple of movies while finishing my homework," I replied with a shrug.

I put the bowl in the sink, and my uncle said,"Sounds fun. Well, I'm going to be in my office all day, finishing some things up since I'm going to be gone for a week. If you need me, just knock."

I nodded, and he took his coffee before walking away. I picked up my phone from the counter, scrolling through some text messages.

keeping up with the cades 101