Chapter 83

Over the months, Celine had grown closer to Akihiko, seeking comfort from him every night after a difficult day of constantly treating soldiers. His teasing personality had returned, and Celine suffered nearly every hour as he clinged onto her like a child. It was completely different from his personality outside of their private tent. To his men, Emperor Akihiko was their hero and source of motivation. He was a military genius who knew how to lead in the most efficient way. To Celine, he was a poetic and funny man who always placed her before himself.

Some days, he would become overbearingly possessive at times. He wouldn't allow her to enter certain places alone or watch the men train. The men pitied Celine because of their leader's intimidating and blunt personality, especially since he was not the type of person to converse normally in small talks. He always avoided public spaces unless he was directing a meeting or training session. However, Celine found him extremely talkative and adorable when left alone. He helped ease the constant knot in her stomach. She appreciated his presence and support, which gave her the courage to announce her creation to the entire army. 

For now, she set aside their relationship and gave each man a look filled with warning.

***

Celine walked out of the private tent, where the army was gathered to hear her addressing speech. She stood before armies from multiple alliances. They were present to fight the biggest battle before winter hit them hard. 

She noticed the sunken eyes of each man and frowned. Their eyes had lost its youthful light. Even Eli and Aaron, who had healed completely, stood in a depressed manner. They all wanted to go home before the winter would arrive.

"I know you are tired, I know you are thinking of your wives, children, and loved ones. We have lost many innocent soldiers, a loss we would never have imagined. We have lost people who shouldn't have died, yet we did." Celine paused, giving a moment of silence to the children who had been slaughtered during the first battle. The men frowned as they recalled that day as if it had occurred the day before."The Zionitte Empire sat on the highest altar for many years. They were known for their code of chivalry, boasting with honesty, strength, and their most advantageous gift that was the gods' blessing. However, I believe that the gods are not on their side today. They have corrupted and shaken the balance of the world for far too long, brought injustice to many innocent beings, both children, men, and women. We have endured the Zionittes' dirty play for far too long, and this war must end. It is time to gather every inch of your strength that I know is aching for vengeance. If your spirit is dead, revive it. For this is the last hour, and we shall return home soon."

"We don't have strength!" A man groaned, as if he was tired of hearing motivational speeches again.

"They're too evil!"

"We're fighting devils!"

The crowd groaned, whispering amongst themselves until they finally settled down to hear the rest of the lady's words.

"When has the devil ever won?" Celine snapped. "I am up here to announce a grave matter, one that will change the course of history as I know it. I fear that the use of this new weaponry will bring forth a humanitarian debate. However, this war must come to an end and we must focus on the safety of our men. I must choose this path to reduce the loss of Krastian lives today, but I am not sure if it will tomorrow."

Celine had many conversations with Akihiko about this matter. She knew these new weapons would lead the world into a new era and awaken technological advances that should never be made thousands of years before its creation. If she wasn't careful, the weapons would end up in the hands of the wrong person, wreaking havoc into the world. Celine didn't even know how to treat such an injury or take out a bullet lodged into the person's body. It wasn't such a simple matter, yet the guns had already been made by her. It was far too late to back out now.

She raised her eyes and scanned the men, who became intrigued by her trembling hands. Despite her shaken form, she spoke clearly, confident in her words.

"I have shown too much mercy, and now I will be the one scorned by future scholars if it means we will win today. Tomorrow, cover your ears, for it will protect you from the thunderous sounds of our weaponry. Do not fear, for you will be safe. It will be a good day to be a Krastian. I know you will be glad." The woman spoke ominously, her vague words confusing many.

The emperor took over her speech and vaguely explained their new technology. It would only be harnessed by the men he had already chosen, and no one knew how the weapons were made except Celine alone. Despite the broad explanation, the soldiers trusted Celine and their emperor. They smiled and yelled with excitement again, the haunting music of war transforming into the trumpet of joy. Whatever awaited them, they knew it would be the last battle.