The Very First Light

His senses came to him in the middle of the night when the light of God first shone into those light blue eyes of his. He woke up on a green cot in a tent filled with guns and military attire hung on rods that crisscrossed above his head. It was dark outside, and the man could hear heavy trucks roll by and the loud chatter of militia. His legs barely shifted to let his feet touch the ground before a man in an army coat with glamorous medals and ribbons attached to his chest gallantly strode in with his hands behind his back; Beyond the tarp that acted as a door, soldiers and trucks could be seen, but only briefly.

"The robot is awake." The man grunted.

Immediately, the robot stood up and saluted since it seemed appropriate. The army general introduced himself as he walked up and helped the robot into the proper position.

"Sir!" The robot belted.

"Welcome to the Army—" the general paused, searching for an adequate way to refer to the pseudo-human. "Kid." He patted the robot's back and left through the flap again.

In the months that followed, pain and suffering was all that the robot found as the men and women beside him died in war.

Blood...everywhere...death...everywhere...the dead moaned in pain...the wails of the broken echoed in his ears for eternity...