chapter 4

Knock.

I stiffen.

"Rosie!" Mom calls out.

Shit!

I sweep a panicked glance over my tattered clothes all over the bed and undone suitcase. Laces stuck under the Pairs of sneakers beside the bed post and the awaiting passport on the bedsite table.

Why's she back so soon!

Before I can collect myself, the door creaks open and mom's head slips in.

We both freeze. She just looks at the mess and me at her, unsure what to do.

And slowly her gaze flicks over to me. I straighten up from hovering over the suitcase. A shirt bunched up in my fingers.

"Have you been crying?"

I blink.

Not sure if I heard the question right I looked up at her. Her gaze intently set on me.

Ya Allah!

I forgot all about myself. Turning away I rub my face against my sleeves, "no!"

Footsteps draw closer.

And I sniff. It sounds too loud. Too out in the open. I don't want her to see me like this.

A hand sits over my shoulder,"what's going on, Rosie?"

I bite the insides of my cheeks. Gulping the rising warmth in my throat, i slip my shoulder from under the hand and carry on to shoving the clothes inside the suitcase. Not bothering to fold them.

Mom sighs.

"I heard you refused to go to school with Hayden."

I stop. Just for a mere second.

So that's what she is here for? To complain about my misbehavior against her dear son!

Thankful for my open hair, I let them curtain my eyes from her to prevent her from seeing the moisture building up inside my eyes.

I bend down, mom steps back as i pick up the sneakers and try to make space for them in the corner of suitcase.

"Would you stop for a min?" Her voice was low. But stern.

The calm in it boiled my blood. And the sternness betrayed me.

I flip the lid of the suitcase over and flop down beside it. Not looking at her.

She sits down next to the suitcase, facing me.

"Tell me now, why did you refuse to ride with him?"

My eyes snapped at her. Is she serious?

As if that's the only problem I have.

"All you care about is why I refused to go with him?" A disdain hidden under the restraint in my voice.

She pushes the open locks out of her tired face. Fatigue has built home under her crystal eyes. Her liner hid under the hood of eyelids. The rosy tint of her cheeks already faltering.

"All I'm saying is that you were okay about it in the morning, then why do that when we were already gone. When me and Ethan couldn't drive you along."

"Its because I had no issue with riding with him."

She waits for me to clarify. I don't.

"Is this how you respond to that? Throwing tantrums?" She gestures towards my luggage. Clearly not taking anything serious.

"What tantrums, mom?" I knew I was stepping over the boundaries. Reading her eyes I feel another wave of irritation," I'm not overreacting."