They Are Gone

Ever since my parents went missing, things have changed, but let's not get into that yet.

On Thursday 12th February, 2015 my parents were going on their nineteenth anniversary dinner, so they left me at home with my grandmother. We played a couple of card games and watched some television, as you do.

They said that they would be home by 10:00pm and 9:59 came, and then it went. 10:30 soon passed and before I knew it, it was midnight. I was a mess with worries, but grandmother reassured me with her kind words "they're probably out having fun and lost track of time." However, I still had my doubts

At around 01:20am there was a knock at the door, it was the police. When I opened the door I stopped dead. I could hear my pulse banging in my ears and my hands were trembling uncontrollably. I couldn't breathe and I feared the worse.

Two police officers were standing on the porch stone still, side by side, pity filling their eyes. The woman opened her mouth and took a deep breath before closing her mouth once again and shaking her head. Then the man looked up from his shoes and stared me straight in the eyes.

"Miss Rosie Clarke?"

"It's Rose" I tried to sound as polite as possible while fighting back the tears.

"Of course, sorry. May we enter?"

I gestured toward the living room and took a seat next to my grandmother who had fallen asleep knitting. I gently shook her and she awoke looking very startled.

The woman finally spoke. "I'm afraid we have some bad news..." But she still couldn't finish the sentence and again, it was the man's job to talk.

"We believe that your mother has gone missing from a car accident on the motorway an-"

I cut the police officer off "My dad, what about my dad?"

"Well... your father... he is... your father has been found dead. I am very sorry."

"How do you know it's them? It could be someone else, right?"

"No Rose, your father had I.d on him, but you mother could still be alive."

The police left and I couldn't sleep there was nothing I could do. They are gone from my life and my heart is now missing a vital chunk. Although I know that my dad is dead, I like to think he is only missing and it is possible for them both to come back.