Chapter Forty Eight

GABRIEL POV

I said my good byes to Kiara and Dustin not long after the pregnancy news.I tried wrapping my head around it all. Kiara couldn't transform in either form now and that put a damper on things, we needed her but at the same time, she's giving birth to an heir to the royal lycan line. I had Janeen put a protection spell against Dustin's unborn child,I needed to do the same for Kiara. This is my family and the only family I have left. I couldn't protect Selene but I'd be damned if anything happened to my neice,nephew and their children.I needed to talk with Janeen for many reasons. First to check on the progress of her protection spells, to hear about how the witches are handling the werewolves and to see if she had any more premonitions. 
I whipped down the roads leading out of the territory and into the city only coming to a stop when arriving near Janeens store. I parked a block away so no one would recognize my car if they happened to be watching the place. I remember being young and unseasoned of life. While we were raised since infancy to be warriors, it wasn't until the slaughter of our kind that I became paranoid of my presence in certain places. This human city being one of them. As I began to get closer to the shop, I caught on to a werewolfs scent. One I had noticed earlier that day but never bothered to track specifically.
As I rounded the corner, I saw a she wolf standing at the door of Janeens shop peering in with her hand on the door. She had pale skin, slanted brown eyes and hair so black it reminded me of the raven. What was she doing?

She jumped when she noticed me,turning to face me and watched me nervously as I walked up the stone steps to the shop door.

"Oh.. Hi. You must be Gabriel. Dustin and Kiaras uncle. Ive.. heard a lot about you" she said extending her hand.

I peered into her eyes that shone with suspicion and anxiety. Not to be obvious, I grabbed her hand softly, offering a slight bow. She was a she wolf at the training arena this morning.  That's where I had smelled her. She also smelled of the young Alpha. I scoffed internally.
"You know my name, yet I don't have the pleasure of knowing yours.." I countered as I rose back to my upright position, taking note of every detail about her. Her black ballet flats size 6 1/2, short but thin legs in black leggings and knee length yellow dress.
"Sumiko" she responded flatly.
"Sumiko." I tossed her name around in my head.

"Sumiko.. are you shopping?" I asked. I wondered if she knew about Janeen.

"Oh, actually yes.  Just a little gift for your neice actually. I heard the good news" and she giggled.

Got her. No one else was in that hospital room. She had to have been listening which meant she was near by, not where the others should have been. But why? Because of Alpha Ryan or something else.

"Well, by all means, come in with me" and I placed my hand onto the knob turning it and walking in. Sumiko took one step forward but then stopped abruptly and smiled.

"Actually..I need to get back to the pack. I know Alpha Ryan is expecting me. " she said and turned on her heel.

"See you soon Sumiko" I said flatly as she paused with her back turned to me before finally resuming her stride.
She said nothing in return.
Closing the door behind me I took a few more steps into the shop disguised home of Janeen who quickly appeared. 

"I thought I heard the door bell" she smiled coming from the back and snapping her fingers to remove the veil upon her home.
Stepping forward she looked me straight in the eyes with concern. I didn't make any attempt to hide anything from her.

"The child?" She said in a tone that was part question and part statement.
"Yes" looking back at her.
Janeen turned placing her hand to her chin.
"Does she know, that I foresaw this?"
"No she doesnt" I replied.
"That child must stay alive Gabriel." And returned to face me.
"It will, as will my niece. I'll make sure of that."
Janeen could only nod but couldn't hide the look of concern on her face.
I cleared my throat.
"Janeen, your protection spells work"
Her eyes widened. 
"How do you know?" She asked.