Chapter 4 - New Horse

Detention was...weird? I think is the correct word to use.

I was the only one in there except for the teacher who was a 50 year old man reading 50 Shades Darker. I honestly pretended to not notice and just sat at the back of the room for the whole 15 minutes. However, just before my 15 minutes were up, the teacher started whispering the words from the book out loud. That might have not been so bad if it were a boring book, but he was whispering out a sex scene.

Needless to say I left before it got any stranger.

As soon as I exited the school I walked straight to the stables where Charlie is. The walk to the stables only takes 10 minutes and Charlie's stable is isolated from the others. The stables are owned by an old couple who have always owned horses. They only have space for 10 horses but they have a huge arena filled with tons of different horse jumps that I always use to practise with Charlie.

I noticed my baby stood waiting at the door to his stable, looking right at me. I grin and quickly pet his long head. He leans into my touch and I chuckle before moving to grab his halter and lead rope. Opening his stable door, I quickly slip through and close it after me. Charlie moves back slightly to give me room to attach his halter.

His dapple grey coat glows in the sunlight as I tie him up beside the tack room.

The tack room is just a small wooden room with multiple pegs on each wall filled with each riders tack for their horses, and the tack for the horses used for lessons. It's only light source is a lightbulb which dangles from the ceiling.

I walk towards Charlie's jumping tack which consists of a brown jumping saddle, white saddlepad, a black bridle, and white polo wraps. I push my arm through the bridle and hold it on my shoulder, hold the saddlepad and saddle on my left arm and carry the polo wraps in my right hand.

Charlie is stood patiently waiting for me when I walk out, but there is a young girl no older than 10 stroking his neck. She is speaking softly to him and grinning to herself, completely oblivious to me as I place Charlie's tack on the fence beside him.

She turns around to face behind her and addresses 3 boys I had failed to notice before.

"Can you get me a lesson on him?" She begs them as they look at her puppy eyes, almost crumbling.

I look closer towards the boys and realise one of them looks familiar to me, however I can't place him. None of them have noticed me yet so I quickly hide behind a wall and  continue watching the girl beg them as she still strokes Charlie's face.

"Ok fine! Anything for my little sis" One of the boys grumbles as he ruffles her hair affectionately.

She grins and squeals quietly to herself before stroking Charlie again. I'm just about to go over and break the news to her that Charlie isn't a horse used for the riding lessons when Jane appears out of nowhere.

Jane is the woman who owns the stables along with her husband Bob. She may be old but she is not frail at all. She can control the most boystrous horse with a single stare. Although she can be nice when she wants to be, she really knows how to teach fast and effectively.

The little girl walks towards her and smiles at Jane. She grins back before greeting her happily.

The girl point to Charlie "Can I ride him today? Please" She drags out in desperation

Jane frowns sadly at the girl "I'm sorry Lucy but that horse isn't used for lessons"

Lucy pouts and looks devestated "Please. I promise I'll never ride him again"

Jane places her hand on her shoulder in comfort "It's not my decision sweetheart"

Lucy frowns "But you own this place"