CHAPTER 3: SICKNESS IN THE FOREST

Esterpine

Koldis followed after Claire and Jeanine. Their chatter was a calm sound at the forefront of his mind. He split his attention between their voices and his surroundings, careful to stay alert. He didn't trust this place. There was something...unwell about it. But he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

Everything around them was teaming with life. Thriving with happiness. Nothing looked amiss. Yet, a current of fear existed beneath it all. As if waiting...for something.

He'd felt it the moment they entered, days ago. It was the same unease he felt months prior, when first venturing here. Only now, it felt worse, like a building pressure, a bubble close to popping. He wasn't sure what it was, but he didn't like it.

"And no one knows where the princess went?" Claire was saying. They were discussing Princess Taylynn, who'd apparently been absent for weeks.

"Not even Feowen," Jeanine said. "I'm told she goes on forays into the forest and sometimes Feowen has to go find her."

"To earn more Sprite marks?"

"Oh..." Jeanine fell quiet. "I'm not sure."

A branch snapped and his shoulders tensed. The others continued like it was nothing. Perhaps it was simply his nature to be wary. The Drengr were not meant to dwell here in the forest. But Talon hadn't mentioned feeling anything like this. And the other pairs said nothing. Then again, none of them had his particular brand of magic. Just as none of them had magic like Cyrus.

Cyrus... Gods, he missed his mentor. It was Cyrus who'd discovered him all those years ago. Seen his potential. Encouraged him to become a Shield. Cyrus was the only one who'd known the strange magic that lurked beneath his skin. And kept his secret too, until they'd decided to tell Talon. Because Cyrus was perhaps the only one who might understand what it meant to be...different.

It was no wonder he'd lost his head when he saw Cyrus laying dead, skin blackened, in the middle of Claire's yard. No wonder that he'd immediately assumed she was the culprit. His own queen! What a fool he'd been. But he'd loved Cyrus deeply. A kind of love words could never describe. Admiration, adoration, brother, friend, all bundled into one feeling. Even the word love didn't do it justice. And now he was simply...gone.

But no, not quite gone. Claire sometimes told him of the little snide comments or pieces of advice Cyrus offered. Especially as of late, since they'd taken this journey to Esterpine. And he cherished every word that was said, every word Claire deigned to share with him.

A ball of pressure swelled in his sternum. He faltered but kept moving, rubbing the place with his thumb, keeping his free hand on his Sverak. He knew what it meant, had gotten better at ignoring it over the years. Though it was hard to do here in the forest.

His ears pricked as the forest went silent. They continued on, making their way down the overgrown path. He strained for noise of any kind. There was nothing, like an absence had formed, like they'd entered a void.

He glanced over his shoulder. Til, Darcie, Verider, and Edith looked ill at ease. So...he wasn't the only one. "Stay alert," he advised them. "Something isn't right."

Ahead, Claire's footsteps faltered. She had heard his voice in her head too, though not intentionally. It was simply a product of her impressive abilities—to overhear all telepathic conversations when she wasn't actively blocking. She glanced back at him, brows creased. "Should we go back?" she asked.

He hesitated. "I'm sure it's nothing. Jeanine doesn't seem bothered. Just...keep your eyes open."

He wasn't sure how deep her connection with the forest ran, or if she could sense what he sensed.