26 - Gatherings with Love

"That's great!" Mom said with a smile. "So, who are you dating?" She asked, still looking at Nico. At that moment, Nico noticed Mom looking and smiled a little.

"I said, end of discussion, Mom," I reiterated.

"Fine, just tell me what kind of person you're dating," Mom insisted.

"I'm dating a..." I turned my head to Nico and saw him having an expectant expression. "...a very misunderstood person." Nico shook his head.

"What kind of description is that?" Mom complained.

"I'm not saying anything, Mom," I insisted.

"Kyle," Dad finally spoke. "I want to meet that girl, bring her over." He said in a serious tone.

"Huh?!" I was pretty shocked. "That's impossible!" I replied.

"Why?" Dad asked in the same tone.

Because there's no girl to bring over. The one I'm dating is Nico, a guy, and we're only pretending to date. So basically, there's really no one to bring over. "Because I don't think it's a good idea. Besides, since when did you two become so interested in my dating life?" I asked sarcastically.

"Bring her over." Dad insisted

"I don't want to." I insisted.

"Kyle," Dad said. "Bring her over."

"Dad." I said in the same tone as his. "No."

"Why not? I don't think it's a bad idea?" Nico suddenly said in a casual manner.

"What?!" I was pretty surprised by his remarks, I turned my head to him, looked at him sharply, but he only smiled at me. "What are you doing?" I asked him as I leaned closer to him and lowered down my voice. "Are you crazy?"

"I'm fine with it, you know," He whispered back. "Since Natalia and Emily think that we're dating, then I don't see anything wrong from anyone else knowing." Nico replied.

"Seriously? Have you gone mad? Once my parents know, Brent will know, then Auntie Leona – Mom's bestfriend and Perry's mother – will know, then Perry will know, then the whole office will know, then the whole world will know," I said frantically. I looked over at my parents and they were staring suspiciously at us so I leaned away from Nico.

"I don't have a problem with that. I'm not ashamed of you," he said before moving away and my cheeks suddenly felt hot.

"What are you two talking about?" Perry asked with a meaningful grin.

"Nothing really..." I said. I was feeling pretty bashful, at that moment, and yet the one responsible was smiling oh so brightly next to me.

I think that the word dysfunctional is best fitted to describe that dinner. I was just very thankful that the night ended.

Although Mom seemed to really like Nico, Dad wasn't warming up to him at all. Probably because of that whole scene at my office that morning.

I accompanied Nico back to his car. We were walking slowly when he asked me something. "Kyle, I know you've told me why your Mom calls you Drew, but is it that she's the only one calling you by that name?" Nico asked.

"You might think it's childish, but I don't really like other people calling me Drew, aside from my Mom. It just doesn't feel natural," I replied.

"I see. So no one else calls you Drew, not even that childhood friend of yours?" Nico asked.

"Yeah, no one else. Just my Mom," I replied. "You don't like Brent at all, do you?" I asked.

"No, he's fine..." Nico said, but his expression was saying the complete opposite. "Fine, I don't like him at all. I just think that he's... I mean, don't you feel like he's... Oh never mind..." Nico.