170: One-Shot

Writer: radpinespple

PARK
Dean had seen the park on the drive there. He immediately thought of Cas. It's practically infested with flowers of all types and colors. Bees were merrily hopping from one flower to the next.

In that moment, it had made Dean smile. He could picture Cas' excited expression. He didn't think he'd actually have time to take Cas there, but they finished their hunt early. Dean volunteered to get dinner and told Cas to come along.

"This isn't Subway," Cas notes as Dean parks in the small gravel parking lot in front of the park.

"Really?" Dean replies sarcastically. "I hadn't noticed." He gets out of the car.

Cas gets out and follows him in confusion. "Dean, what are—" Then he sees the flowers.

Dean grins. The angel is even more excited than Dean thought he'd be. Cas races over to the nearby yellow ones.

"Look at these!" Cas exclaims. Dean trails behind him as he starts rattling off random facts about the flowers. Since Cas is distracted, Dean allows himself to stare at him. Cas really means so much to Dean. Dean knows there's a little something more there, but he isn't willing to admit that. Dean has a habit of ruining things like that, so he's stopped hoping for it.

Maybe that's why he treasures the little moments like this. These quiet moments of happiness are something Dean rarely has...especially with Cas. They're always racing from one thing to the next, never really having time for themselves. It's one of the biggest regrets in Dean's life. He wants to spend more time with Cas. ...More time alone with him.

In the middle of Cas' little rant, he spots a group of large red flowers and heads towards them, stopping mid-sentence. Cas gently caresses one of the red petals as if his very touch will disintegrate the plant.

"Red always reminds me of you," Cas suddenly says.

"It does?" Dean answers in surprise. He doesn't stop the smile that stretches across his face. Cas isn't looking anyway. "Why?"

Cas smiles as he looks at the flowers. "It's such a deep, warm color."

Dean smirks. "What, and that's how you see me?" he teases.

Cas looks up earnestly and replies, "Yes." He's so genuine it takes Dean's breath away.

Realizing he's been staring into Cas' eyes for just a little too long, Dean clears his throat. "Anyway, I, uh, just wanted to show you this."

Cas glances back down at the flowers. "You saw this and thought of me?"

"Yeah. You have a weird nature thing," Dean says. He doesn't want to ruin this by making it overly sappy. He also doesn't think he could handle it if it was any sappier.

Cas glares, but there's a small smile on his lips. Not like Dean is staring at his lips or anything.

Cas gazes at the flowers for a moment. "I suppose we should get going now."

Dean doesn't want to. He wants to save this soft, happy moment forever. Just a sweet, unplanned moment with him and his angel.

Cas looks up at Dean's silence.

Then Dean remembers to speak. "Oh, uh, yeah."