Chapter 1: The Story of Time

"Papiiii!" Arius flung himself right at his grandfather who immediately dropped his book to hook his arms around Arius. Upon impact, he gave out a grunt as he adjusted Arius so that he was cradled to his side.

"My, my Ari, you seem to be in a good mood," His grandfather chuckled. At this, Arius's grin only grew as he nodded his head vigorously.

"Mhmm! Today, while I was in town, I saw this man who was kind of dressed funny, but he told great stories!" his grandfather laughed. "Of course they weren't as good as yours though!" Arius quickly added, eyes wide.

"That sounds like quite the delight, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself." Arius giggled. Then, he seemed to pause. Noticing this, his grandfather jumped Arius from one arm to the other, waiting for the question that would be asked.

"Hey, Papi? Do you know anyone named Time? I mean, I heard the storyteller talking abt Time like they were a person, and I was really confused. At first, I thought it must have been a mistake, but then I got thinking, you know? What if Time really is a person?" His grandfather just sighed and went over to his dark oak rocking chair.

The rocking chair itself no longer had sharp edges but smoothed out wood that felt almost like silk. The rockers, or as Arius liked to call them, the chair's feet, had practically engraved themselves into the wooden planks underneath. The rocking chair was old. In fact, Arius didn't remember a time when the rocking chair hadn't been on their porch, waiting for his grandfather under the shade of the roof.

The rocking chair was a special place. Arius thought he would be really sad if it were to disappear, after all, that was where his grandfather told him the best of stories. Tales of mythical creatures, dragons, and sorcerors of every kind. Grand rulers who took on even the mightiest of challenges with a confident gaze and leadership unparallel to any around.

Though all of these were great, the stories Arius liked the most, were the ones his grandfather told with an extra bright twinkle in his eye, that little spark that told Arius, listen closely little one, This one, this is a story to remember.

As he sat down in his chair now, Arius could see that extra twinkle, the exact one he looked for every time his grandfather told him a story on his old rocking chair.

"My dear dear boy, let me tell you the story of a lonely child. A child that has watched us grow through the ages. A child, that goes by the name of Time."