Fall

The tunnel is dark. It seems like a giant void of dank gloom and echoing brick walls. I can feel the cold over whelm me and shake me to my bones. Then comes the heat. The suffocating, sticky humidity that threatens to drown me in my own sweat. But then there is a spark. A tiny light. It gets closer and closer, widening and stretching until I finally break free of the grasp of the tunnel that I thought would hold me forever. And then color. The world ignites in brilliant shades of burgundy and orange.

     The calming breeze brushes against my face, bringing with it hints of cinnamon and wet leaves. In the bushes next to the path I can hear chipmunks and squirrels, busy at work preparing food for the long winter blizzard ahead. The leaves gently cascade down from the shivering branches; lying in random, extraordinary patterns that quilt the Earth from the cold. I wish to be among the leaves. Each one so free, going with the wind whichever way it may go. But I know that that is not possible. I must keep with the path, knowing it will eventually lead back to the tunnel that I fought so hard to break free from.

     However, before I reach the end of the path and enter the dark void yet again, I see a trail. I peek around the corner and stare down the ominous ally that the haunting trees create. The ground is blanketed by a thick layer of mist that makes my bottom legs disappear.  I take a tentative step forward, my eyes darting from side to side. Then, a twig snaps, sounding like a gunshot even though it was probably just an animal. My heart pumps hastily as I start hyperventilating. Everything seems to be moving by an unseen force, eyes seem to hide around every corner. From off in the distance a witch cackles, making my eyes shift toward the giant moon that glows yellow. Shadows shift and scurry just out of sight. Then the breaking point. A hand looms out of the dark and takes hold of my shirt. A blood curdling scream sounds from deep within my throat and I pump my legs and arms forward, not caring that the hand was only a branch.

     I break free of the unnerving trail and find myself in front of the tunnel again. As I think back on the eerie trail, I light laugh escapes my lips when I think how paranoid I was being. I stare up at the gaping mouth of the tunnel and take a deep breath as I prepare myself for the long silence yet again. It will take a while to make it back to the extravagant world of fall again, but don’t care how long it will take as long as I know it will come again.