Deny, Deny, Deny

[SEASON 2; EPISODE 4]

The key to surviving a surgical internship is denial. We deny that we're tired, we deny that we're scared, we deny how badly we want to succeed, and most importantly, we deny that we're in denial.

Charlie rubs Ophelias cheek with a frown adorning his face as he recalls everything Ophelia had opened up to him about the night prior. She was so afraid he was going to look at her differently and the truth was that he did. She was by far the strongest woman he had ever met in his life. He cant believe this woman had been through all of that and yet somehow managed to make it out of bed everyday acting like everything was fine.

Now he understood. Her reluctance to their relationship, her reaction to cristina's miscarriage. But as he stared at her he made himself a silent promise. He would never hurt her or let her be hurt the way she had before. He would teach her what real love was and he would show her, her worth. She was his now, even though she says she's not because he hadn't officially asked her out yet.

Ophelia begins to stir and Charlie cooes at her small yawn. "Good morning, Oph."

"Morning." Her voice is raspy and croaky from all the crying she had done the night before. She wraps her arms around his shoulders and nestles her face into his neck.

Gliding his hand through her hair he kisses her head like he did every morning. "You know, if you're not up for it I'm sure Richard would understand if you called in. I could do the same, I have vacation days you know."

Ophelia smiles into his neck at the care in his voice. "I have to go in today, I didn't get to see Cristina while she was awake and I wanna check up on her."

"Okay, baby." He whispers. "Whatever you want."

We only see what we wanna see and believe what we want to believe. And it works. We lie to ourselves so much that after a while, the lies start to seem like the truth. We deny so much that we can't recognize the truth, right in front of our faces.

Ophelia catches up with the rest of the interns and Bailey. Meredith nudges her knowing that yesterday might've triggered her. "Are you okay?" She whispers in concern, seeing the puffy eyed girl.

Ophelia nods with a small smile, allowing the group to go ahead of the two a little ways. "I will be. Charlie and I had a long talk last night and I told him about my past."

Meredith sends her a reassuring smile before they tune into Baileys voice. "I want everyone focused today. With Cristina out, we're short an intern and I have a feeling it's gonna be one of those days. And Karev, see the chief by the end of the day."

Alex's head snaps up in confusion and a little bit of panic. "What for?"

"Do I look psychic to you? He is the chief. He asked. You go." She sends him an unamused glance.