Part 2

They’re out in the garden. Yes, that’s right, Castiel has started a garden. Says it makes him feel close to God. Why the guy wants to feel close to his dead beat dad, Dean will never know. But they eat fresh fruits and vegetables a lot now (Dean only by force), and it seems to make Castiel happy so, there’s a garden.

Castie’s hands are covered with earth, wet, and deep brown, and smelling like something familiar. Something like home. It’s caked in the crevices, and lines his fingernails, and it makes his hands look used. Purposeful.  

Those hands have done a lot of celestial things in their day, healed people, killed things, and now they garden.

Dean never realized how gorgeous those hands are. Not when it mattered anyway, not when there were two slender fingers swiping across his forehead, or a warm palm cupping the side of his battered face. 

But now. Encased in soil, and plucking weeds from the vegetable beds, and pushing seeds into the ground. Now he notices. 

He notices and he falls. 

"Cas, I love-"

Cas pauses, the eerily bright blue of his eyes peeking from beneath the dark fringe of his lashes. 

"I love your garden." Dean chokes. 

Castiel smiles. It’s small, but it reaches his eyes, and it’s the Most Important Thing. “It makes me very happy,” he says.

Dean nods. “Yeah,” he agrees cowardly, fondly, “yeah, I can tell.”