Chapter 4- The Traitor

You and Bela walked along the hallway together in silence. You eventually reached the main hall with the four statues.

Bela walked over to the statues and looked at one of the masks before noticing something besides the statue. She knelt beside a mark on the floor. "What is it?" You asked as you joined her beside the statue.

"A scuff mark; whoever was here was in a hurry." You were surprised at how much information she got from a small mark on the floor.

"You got all that from a mark on the floor?" You asked as she stood back up from the floor.

She laughed "you learn a thing or two when you have been hunting both animals and humans for years." You laughed nervously at her response. "Come," she said as she began walking towards the staircase that led to the second floor of the castle; you followed closely behind her.

You were both walking in silence again. You weren't the only one who was nervous.

The silence was interrupted by Bela, "you heard mine and Mother's conversation about the dagger, didn't you?" She asked.

You were shocked; how did she know you were there? And why didn't she say anything before?

"How did you know I was there?" You asked with clear surprise.

She laughed again, "I could smell your blood. I'm assuming Mother did too. Did you forget that I'm a swarm of bloodthirsty flies?"

You were laughing now, "How could I forget?"

The second-floor main hall was quiet. The only sound was the fire crackling. You both looked for any signs of Cristina or any signs of intruders, but there were none. "I don't think she's on this floor. Should we try the third floor?" you asked as you looked into a blood-filled teacup.

"Yes, she could be up there. There are plenty of rooms," replied Bela. Her response made you nervous. She was right; there were loads of rooms on the third floor, which meant that Cristina or an intruder could be hiding anywhere up there.

You both began to climb the stairs to the third floor. You both entered the wine room and checked it for any signs of Cristina or an intruder; there were none.

You were about to try the door beside your bedroom, but Bela stopped you by pulling on your arm. "No one will be in there; we keep that room locked at all times. Mother is the only person with a key." She tried the door handle, "See?" She said as the door didn't budge.

You checked your room and saw no signs of Cristina or an intruder. You both began walking towards the dressing room.

It was silent again, so you decided to ask Bela about the locked room. "The locked door", you started, which made her look at you. "What's in there?" You asked.

Your question made Bela's expression change from calm to uneasiness. "You don't have to answer if you don't want to," you said in an attempt to make her less uneasy.

She shook her head, "it's not my place to say anything. But, that room used to belong to Mother's former lover, Ana." you gasped; the Lady in the painting was your Lady's former lover? "Local villagers killed her. Ever since, Mother has kept her room as it was. It hasn't been touched in over fifty years." Fifty years? Alcina clearly cared about Ana. You decided not to press any further because you could see that Bela was visibly upset talking about it.

You finally reached the dressing room. Bela walked over to a wardrobe; she still looked upset, so you didn't say anything. Instead, you started to walk over to a hole in the wall. You could see that two wooden planks had been nailed over the hole. As you walked over, you somehow tripped and fell straight through the planks. You fell straight through a hole on the other side of the wall. The planks must have been there for a reason.