Chapter 44 - Mom's Surprise

I couldn't believe it. Finally! We're meeting! I almost screamed in my delight.

I heard Kai chuckle on the other line and I ended up doing the same.

"See you on Saturday, then. Send me the name of the hotel you're staying at and your room number so I could fetch you. Your dad can come with us, too. And you might meet Scarecrow and Casper at school."

Woah! That was brave of him. I wonder how dad would react? He'd probably think he's my boyfriend even if I already explained to him how I wish it was the case. But to be honest, I kinda prefer to go with him alone. So we could talk comfortably.

"Ha-ha-ha! Are we having an early halloween gathering? Maybe I should invite Hora, huh? It's Saturday so she could fly here if she wants. I wonder if she'd like to go to college with me."

That was when it hit me. I was so excited about meeting Kai and with the possibility of us being at the same school but... what about Hora? She's my best friend and soul sister! What would I do without her? And what would she do without me? I need to protect her. She's still too young and has no idea about the ways of the world. She probably thinks everyone's an angel like her. But what if she didn't want to go to an international college outside our country? No way. We're like salt and pepper. We shouldn't be separated. My heart sunked the moment I realized that possibility. A deep sigh escaped my mouth.

"What's with the sudden sigh?"

"Oh, sorry. I just realized that I can't part with Hora. She's my sister slash best friend for life. And I'm not sure if she'd like to study abroad with me."

"Try asking her first before you worry."

"Yes... right. I'll do that."

"What course is she planning to take?"

"Something about film editing? I forgot the name of the course."

"That's a good choice. RDIU has it, too."

"Really? That's great. Hopefully she and her mom agree."

"If she wants to succeed internationally, then RDIU would be the better choice. Not that I'm patronizing it, but considering all the facts—curriculums, professors, reviews, how many passed the board, success rate of alumni, and many other factors, it's the top choice among everyone in the eastern continent. Also, it would be easier for her to get hired by Red Dragon Films."

"Yes, that's true! I'll try to convince her with that. Thanks for telling me."

"Goodluck. And go back to whatever you're doing. I'm hanging up now. Still need to take a bath and prepare for school in the morning. Ugh."

"Ha-ha-ha! Enjoy your morning and the rest of your day! Bye!"

"Goodbye."

As soon as we hung up, I called Hora and explained everything to her.

"Hora, you don't have to force yourself to go with me. Just be honest and tell me what you really want. We're talking about dreams here so don't hold yourself back for me."

"What are you saying, Sena?" she snorted. "Are you kidding me? That's Red Dragon International University! The RDIU! It's the most prestigious and most outstanding college in the entire continent! And maybe in other continents, too! I'd love to go there!" Her voice sounded so excited so I guess I could believe her words, right?

"Are you sure?"

"Positive! One problem, though."

"What is it?"

"You have to help me study for the entrance exam. It may be the most prestigious, but it also has one of the toughest entrance exams in the whole world. I'm smart but Math is my enemy... sniff. RIP me."

"Pft! Ha-ha-ha! Of course, I'll help you."

Phew. That was a huge load off my chest. I'm going to college with Hora! And Kai! And my first story is turning into a movie! I'm so happy! I felt like the happiest person in the world! All these blessings... I'm overwhelmed. I prayed silently to offer my thanks to God.

Days passed by after that, with dad and me leisurely going around tourist spots near us. We ate at different restaurants and even tried their street foods which were all so yummy! We bought souvenirs for everyone back home as well. When inspiration struck me, I would jot it down on my phone and write about it once we're back at the hotel. Sometimes, Ms. Qian Yu would check on us and bring us to some good places. Just like that, the whole week went by in a flash and it was Friday, the day of the event. It was a night event so I had all morning and afternoon to prepare. Mom made sure to pack me an evening dress I could wear. I haven't checked what she packed so I opened the luggage where she said she put it.

"Oh. My. Goodness," I blurted out in surprise.

"What's wrong?" Dad hurried towards me.

"Sorry, dad. I'm fine. I was just surprised at this dress."

I saw dad's eyes check out the dress I carried in my arms.

"Wow. That's ... really beautiful."

"I know, right?! Where did she buy this?" I flipped the dress and looked for anything that might indicate its brand but I found nothing. "Don't tell me ... she made this one?"

Dad thought for a moment. "Right. She can make dresses."

"Wooow..."

No wonder mom's design didn't sell during her time. It wasn't because it was ugly... but rather, her designs were so ahead of her time!

"Go on. Put it on!" dad told me. He seemed more excited than I was.

The dress she prepared for me was an olive green sheer overlay dress with amazingly beautiful and intricate embroideries of flowers on the sheer fabric. It was tea-length for the sheer fabric, but the dress inside which was made from another type of fabric in a deeper shade, was shorter by around five inches. The dress inside didn't have sleeves but the sheer overlay had it and it reached halfway to my elbows. The overall look was perfect. This kind of design would be really popular in the future. I didn't know mom had such amazing talent! I should let her know once we get back. I wanted to tell her in person.

And so, I put on the stunning dress mom made for me and used the not-so-high heels that came with it in the same shade as my dress

And so, I put on the stunning dress mom made for me and used the not-so-high heels that came with it in the same shade as my dress. She even prepared matching accessories—a platinum gold ear cuffs with flower design, with its matching necklace and bracelets—designs which would also be popular in the future!

"Wooow..." was all I kept on repeating in my mouth. "Mom's definitely a designer genius!"

"I couldn't agree more."

***

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share! 💖