♤ Chapter 1 ♤

Elsie's POV

Wake up!

It's noon

Don't make me drive over there and wake you up myself

Let's do something fun today

I woke up to the sound of my phone buzzing repeatedly from Issie spam texting me. I sloppily grabbed my phone and put it on silent. I thought if I heard my phone buzz one more time I would lose it. I closed my eyes hard and opened them back up, clearing my vision. It was in fact not noon yet, it was 11:30. If Issie had given me the chance I probably could have slept for another hour. But I didn't mind, I didn't want to sleep the day away anyways. I started typing my response.

Congrats I am awake now

Gotta get dressed then I'll be right over

Issie responded, perfect.

I was not sure what Issie wanted to do when I came over but it was most likely instagram pictures were gonna be involved so I decided I would try to look decent. I quickly put on a white button-up cardigan, a red plaid skirt and my docs. I also packed an overnight bag considering I would probably end up staying the night. It was routine for me to be home a few days, then stay at Issie's house a night or even two. This routine was especially strong during summer.

"Mum! I'm going to Issie's!" I yelled up the stairway as I grabbed my keys.

"Make sure to say thank you! You're over there too much!" She replied.

    I assured my Mum I would be polite and left.

✪                            ✪                          ✪

    I opened the door slowly using my own key to the house. The partridge's house was open and was mostly lit by natural lighting through large windows. There were plenty of houseplants scattered around the rooms. I slipped off my shoes and started walking towards Issie's room assuming she was there but I spotted Issie in the kitchen and diverted my path towards her.
"Elsie!" Issie announced when she spotted me. She got up and gave me a hug, "I feel like I haven't seen you in forever."
"It's been two days." I laughed into her shoulder.
    We started discussing our plans for the day as Issie made us toast with jam. I didn't realize how starving I was until Issie offered me some food.  Issie started spreading the jam onto the bread as she talked, "We should go to a Cafe, get some coffee." I was about to respond but got interrupted.
    "We have coffee here Issie." Louis walked in, Issie's younger brother but I was the same age as him since they were one year apart and I was a bit younger than Issie. Louis looked as though he had just woken up as his hair was messy and he was wearing pajamas. Louis looked at me "You're here again. Do you live here now?"
    "Don't be rude Louis." Issie said flatly.
    "No really. You should go over to her house sometimes." Louis looked at me again and smiled. "I would love if Issie was out of my hair occasionally."
    Issie and I continued to plan out our day while finishing our toasts.
    "Should we try a different cafe than Jasmines?" Issie asked.
    Jasmine's was me and Issie's favorite cafe. It was on the corner of fourth street with a small thrift store on one side of it and a gift shop on the other. It looked small from the front but it was bigger once you went inside. It had brick walls with cute round tables and brown chairs and of course the air always smelled like fresh coffee.
    "Look at what Adam just texted me." I took a sip of my Coffee as Issie turned her phone towards me so I could read the screen. We had given up on finding a new cafe so we were sitting comfortably at the only booth in Jasmine's which was in the corner of the shop. The text said something along the lines 'wanna come to this party tonight' "So you wanna go?" Issie asked.
    "I was not invited." I rebuttal.
    "Oh shut up. One second." Issie started typing then waited a moment and typed again. "Now you are."
I smiled, "Sure. Let's go."

✪                            ✪                          ✪

    "Come on!"
    I standed in awe looking at the house towering infront of me. I could hear muffled music and chatter leaking out from the house.
    "Who's house is this. It look's like it has fucking five stories."
    Issie came over and stood next to me, she turned her attention to the house and stared at it with me. She grinned, "Maybe it does! Let's go."
    The smell inside was awful. It reeked of ciggarettes, achohol and the very worst, sweaty teens. I was afraid of not knowing anyone but my worry was quickly relived. There was tons of people from my school at the house. Issie and I went around greeting people we recognised for the first half hour.
    Rina, one of me and Issie's school friends decided to come with us to scope out the house after we had said hi to everyone. "Oh my god these people are so rich they have a bar, like an actual bar." Rina pointed out. Rina was tall with long dark hair and she smiled as she looked around the house.
    Issie got behind the counter and pretended to shake something in the shaker, "What would you ladies like tonight?" She asked half joking.
    "Mmmm one Margarita please." Gina asked
    Issie started grabbing things and gathering them at the front of the counter as if she was preparing to make the drink. She had a few limes and tequilla gathered at the front and then she paused, "Gonna be completly honest, I don't know how to make a margarita."
    Gina and I laughed as Gina went behind the counter with Issie and said, "I'll make it myself."
    As the night went on Gina, Issie and I stuck together. Floating between different groups of people drinking and conversating. Issie got chatty when she was drunk and she was very drunk. So was Gina. And I was not exactly all there myself but not nearly as gone as those two. At one point Issie, Gina, Adam, me and a few other people were sitting around a large seating area, Issie and I were on the couch. I was to tired to anyone or even pay attention to what others were saying unless it was directly to me. I let Issie do all the talking.
    Issie turned to me to speak which woke me up a little, "How are we getting home?" she questioned. I was suprised she was sober enough to be thinking about that.
    "What do you mean?" I asked half asleep.
    Issie laughed "Well I'm not driving."
    With that I woke up. "Shit me niether. Should we call an Uber?" Issie nodded slowly in agreement.
    "I could drive you." Adam suggested, which startled me because I didn't think anyone was paying attention to our conversation. "I haven't drinken or anything."
    I smiled knowing this was probably Adam's way of trying to kiss up to Issie. He seemed to like her. "Sure that would be great."
    Issie and I giggled as she stumbled out of the house. She tripped and rolled her ankle and it looked as though she could have just twister it.
    "Christ take of those heels Issie!"
Issie laughed. "No, no i'm fine."
"No, you're crazy." I argue, now laughing with Issie.
I helped Issie into the back seat then I hopped into the front seat as Adam turned on the car. I zoned out as he drove. I stared blankly out the window, it was a clear night so I noticed the moon which appeared to be a waxing gibbous.
Before I knew it Adam was pulling up to the Patridge's and we were hopping out of the car. I open the door to find Issie asleep in the back seat.
"I'll carry her inside so we don't have to wake her." Adam said in a loud whisper. I nodded my approval. I got out my key and opened the door as quietly as I could. I hadn't checked the time in a while but I knew it had to be at least two in the morning and I did not want to wake Mr. or Mrs. Patridge. We made our way down the hall to Issie's room and Adam laid her down on the bed and I pulled the covers over her.
As we exited Issies room Adam asked, "Do you think I could have a glass of water?" I nodded and took Adam to the kitchen. He sat down at the stools at the counter and I handed him the water.
"Thank you for driving us tonight. Ubers are way to expensive." I said to Adam as I sat down on the stool next to him.
"Yeah no problem."
We talked a little more before Adam leaned in closer to me. I panicked as I realized driving Issie and I home was not him trying to get closer to Issie, but to me. I did not like Adam. He was attractive, tall with dark features and curly hair and he was kind but I simply did not like him like that.
I complied anyways.
When I woke up the next morning the night before had felt like a dream. I hoped it was but I knew it wasn't.
"Do you want a bagel?"
I groaned loudly, Issie laughed at my dramatics. "Yes please." I responded. Issie pulled out two bagels from the baggie and started pulling them apart. Issie and I both looked a mess, with sweats on and gross buns. "What do you remember from last night?" I said trying to Segway to the events of the night before.
"Mmm I remeber getting driven home by Adam I think."
"Yes yup that is exactly what happened. And guess what happened after that." Issie looked at me, half concerned. She motioned at me telling me to continue. "Adam kissed me. It was so weird."
Issie laughed, "What! Well by the sounds of it you did not enjoy it." I nodded in agreement.
"And besides, it totally took me off guard, I thought he liked you."  The bagels popped out of the toaster and I got up to help Issie put cream cheese on them.
"Guess not then." Issie added.
"Guess not."