10. The Definitive Brawl

The thoughts of a trivial mortal are often divided when it comes to thought of having to take a human life; very few can kill without any form of guilt or regret. Many petty squabbles have led to murder, but this was unlike that in many respects. For starters, the psychotic demon which seemed to plague James' mind – known as Jack the Ripper – was not killing for a petty reason. Whilst Joey wouldn't say murder could be justified, he did understand the powers that grief could put on a person. His grief had burnt him inside out and left only a murderous shell. Ellie, meanwhile, was convinced that they had just watched the true death of James Roberts. She was prepared to do whatever it would take to get this ghastly beast off the streets.

Batons raised, Joey and Ellie watched as Jack approached. From behind him, he unleashed a blade of some description. It was lengthy and razor-sharp, curving uneasily like it was pretending to be some kind of lethal boomerang. A blood-red handle sat comfortably within Jack's grip as he continued to move towards them. "Joey. Ellie." Jack began, "I'll make this swift and painful." His mouth moved to smile, sinister energy flowing from his grin. He even began to laugh. Laugh like nothing mattered anymore. Joey hesitated. Was there really an escape? He wanted to give up, but he knew deep in his heart that he couldn't.

Rachel, Joey thought, was always the brightest of all of them. She conformed to the needs of the team and was very willing to get the job done. Joey trusted her dearly and the thought of her being gone was only beginning to sink in. Why did she have to be the first to go? Then there was Kayla, always thinking outside of the box. Without her top-notch creativity and determination, the Bakery Murders of 1886 would never have been solved. Her thinking was, unfortunately, also what eventually led to her death, though her murder was only a device to frame Brandon. Ahh, Brandon, thought Joey, poor Brandon. Brandon was the down-to-earth figure who the team could rely on to get things done. One of his finest discoveries was on the day of his death. He was resilient but just couldn't pull through to the end. Joey wanted to cry but continued to freeze.

His mind continued to be filled with memories. His eyes connected with Jack's, but all he saw was James, five years ago. His hair had grown since then and was almost like a wild, living creature dancing and prancing upon his head. He remembered the conversation they once had about the state of Whitechapel, discussing what they would personally do to change it for the better.

"Personally, I'd demolish Whitechapel and start again." James had said, passion flaring within his voice. "We could build what should be rather than what is. Decent houses, some place for children to learn themselves some manners..." He trailed off, glancing out the window. "Maybe then we won't be needed. Maybe crime will...end."

How he had changed, Joey reminded himself. Only a month ago, he had told Joey that there was no point in caring anymore. He may not have noticed at the time, but James had changed to such a degree that it should have been noticed. Alas, he had no time to think about that; indeed, he had no time at all.

"Knock down Whitechapel?" Dennis had asked, popping his head round the corner. "Now that's a plan." He smiled a smile like no other, a twinkle sitting perfectly in his eyes. Boy did Joey miss that man. Not only was Dennis his supervisor, but he was his hero. He had shaped him into the man he was today.

"I know it sounds silly, but-" James began, but Dennis shook his head.

"No." He simply said. "No, you have the right idea, son." His face dropped. "This place is Hell." Joey would've sighed if he had the time required to; Inspector Hutchins left days after that conversation. He had chosen that Whitechapel was no place to raise his daughter. He would've probably been promoted to Chief, too, Joey had decided. Instead, his grouchy colleague, Inspector Richards, got the job. Thinking of the decapitated head of the Chief was enough to make Joey return himself to the perspective at hand. What would Dennis have said if he was here? Joey scowled at Jam- Jack, only realising moments later that his words had been spoken out loud.