Sacrifice

I was seated against a rock twirling my dagger around in my hand, being careful not to harm myself in the process but I was confident to never have a slip up. My movements were fluid with grace at the many years of practice.

I tense up as a body sat down beside me. Our shoulders brushed against each other at the close proximity. His smell was the most intoxicating scent I have ever smelled. I could almost roll around in it if it were mud.

Out of the corner of my eye he rested his arms on his knees as he released a deep sigh. 

Even though he sat next to me I didn't stop playing with the sharp knife in my hands. It was quiet except for the occasional gasp that escaped the boy's mouth beside me from my — from what he could see — dangerous gestures.

"No one taught me how to use my daggers. I learned on my own. Orieus taught me how to properly fight with them though." I blurt out. His eyes pierce the side of my face as I concentrated on the dagger as I flipped it over and twirled it between my hands. "I can throw it and cause damage." Demonstrating, I carelessly tossed it over at a pile of shields which were lined up neatly across from us. They all tumbled to the ground with my dagger stabbed deeply in the first one.

Peter gaped as others start yelling and blaming each other for the mess. It was quite amusing as the blacksmith started to push the bear around causing him to stumble into a faun which ended in them pushing each other.

"Wow," gasped Peter. "Remind me to never let you get angry." I laughed, turning my head slightly to look at him. He was already staring at me in awe. "Do you have other tricks?" I smiled wide.

And so, as we waited for the conversation between Jadis, the White Witch of Narnia and Aslan, the Lion that rules over all, I explained all of my tricks to Peter who asked questions and excitedly stared as I showed him what I could do. He reminded me of a child who couldn't wait to open his presents for christmas.

I told him stories of the pranks I pulled when I was younger and in exchange Peter told me his stories about his home called Eng Land. His home confused me. Buildings instead of tents. Carriages that weren't pulled by horses but instead they moved on their own! Animals didn't talk instead they were treated as they were called. And the name that they chose to call their land is strange enough.

He told me about his mother and about how much he and his younger siblings would pull tricks on each other just to get scolded by their mother but praised by their father. I placed a hand on his shoulder and listened intensely as he poured his thoughts about his own father fighting a war back home. How it was up to him to protect his family from danger.

"Danger always has a way of creeping on us, My King." I told him as a blush came on his cheeks as I grab his hand. "There is no way in running from it if you want it to stop. You have to be the way to stop your demons." I shift my body for it to be faced completely toward him. "I believe that if you care for someone you shouldn't push them away but keep them by your side. For the only place they feel safe is by the person they care deeply about."

I didn't realize how close we were until his breath was blowing against my cheek. Heat burned up my cheeks as I stare in his blue eyes that stare straight back at me.

"Then, I will have to stay by your side always." He whispered. My breathing seem to have come to a halt at his honesty.

"I guess, I will have to stay by yours... My King."

—————————————

I sigh as yet again, Susan started to scold Edmund for getting dirt on his pants. He was jumping off the rock over and over out of boredom. Peter was still sitting beside me also keeping an eye on his siblings who were arguing. Out of the corner of my eye, Peter plucked a piece of grass. He twirled it around in between his fingers. Our fingers still intertwined from our earlier conversation, never once letting go. Every now and then he would squeeze to remind me that he was there.