vi. THE BEGINNING

JULY 19th, 1978
9:45 P.M.

Y/N quickly pushes away from Ziggy, fear evident in her eyes. "We, uh, we should probably check it out." She stutters to Ziggy.

The girl nods quickly and they unlock the door and see a bunch of kids standing around one of the buildings.

Ziggy spots Nick and tugs Y/N a little closer, the pair pushing through the crowd of kids to end up beside Nick, and the scene before them is horrifying.

A kid, Jeremy, lies on the floor, his blood staining the wood everywhere as Y/N and Ziggy stand frozen in fear and shock, another counselor directing the kids away, and back to the safety of the mess hall.

"We gotta go, guys." Nick mumbles to the pair.

Ziggy takes a step back, Y/N still staring at the mutilated body with glassy eyes. Ziggy places a hand on Y/N's arm, trying to break her out of the trance she had been put in. "Y/N. Y/N, let's go." Ziggy says, her voice trembling slightly.

Y/N blinks a few times before nodding, the three starting out into a run, trying to get back to the mess hall as one of the counselors, Gary, rings the meal bell while shouting, "Let's go! This is not part of the game!" As kids in red and blue run from the forest as into the safety of the building.

Y/N and Ziggy find a table in the corner, their hands tightly held together underneath as they watch kids find spaces to sit, Nick counting their numbers as they come in.

And then the power goes out.

The campers scream in the new darkness, Ziggy feeling Y/N tense as she herself tries to remain strong, tightening her grip on Y/N's hand.

"Everyone stay calm! Everything's alright!" Nick shouts over the chaos.

Y/N finally snaps and stands up, taking Ziggy with her but separating their hands. "How many?" Gary asks Nick as he comes inside.

"Twenty three." Nick says to the group, his hands on his hips nervously.

"That's thirty missing, at least." Gary panics, throwing his hands up.

Nick exhales sharply and heads for the phone, "Where's Cindy, Kurt, Joan?"

Gary shrugs, his body shaking, "I don't know," He answers, "Haven't seen them, or Tommy or anyone." He finishes as Nick picks up the phone as suddenly the lights turn back on.

Nick slams the phone back down in frustration. "It's dead." he says, running a nervous hand through his hair.

Ziggy shakes her head, "We have to go, we have to warn people." She says, heading towards the door.

"There could be more out there." Y/N agrees, moving to her side before Nick stops them by blocking their way.

Ziggy breathes heavily, looking between Nick and the door, "My sister's still out there!" She yells, trying to push past him again, but he holds the girls there.

"Nick, we have to go, we have to do something!" Y/N pleads.

Nick shakes his head, "This isn't like one of your books, Y/N, we have to stay safe, not running around like a reckless hero trying to save everyone!"

Y/N backs down at his words, Ziggy coming to her side protectively. Nick looks between the girls and sighs, turning to address Y/N, "Look, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. Me and Gary will go." He tries to reason.

"What?" Gary snaps, looking to the group with a horrified expression.

"Just please stay here." Nick pleads, his message targeted towards Y/N but Ziggy shakes her head her head as well.