33 | A Step Closer

Blaire and I sit on a bench, watching as Kyle and Ian do laps around the running track. Every single time they pass by us, he flashes me a cute smile that has my heart melting. I wave back happily while my eyes casually sweep across the area.

I don't miss the way some girls are loitering by the fence. There are several good-looking guys on the track & field team, but most of their eyes are ogling at my boyfriend's hot and sweaty body.

I scowl, making a small noise of annoyance.

Blaire seems to read my mind at the exact time. "Damn," she snorts. "Some people just can't get the message that he's off limits, can they?"

I nod in agreement, but when I look over at her, her eyes are fixed on Ian instead. As understanding sinks in, I pretend not to know anything.

"I feel as if I've not talked to you for ages."

She lifts a brow at me, confused. "But the last time we spoke was like a second ago?"

"I mean talk, like real talk."

"Oh!" She shifts her body so that she's facing me instead, one leg folded on the bench and the other on the ground, and gives me her full attention. "What happened this time? Who bullied you? Tell me and I'll gouge their eyes out when they sleep. Nobody messes with my best friend."

My heart swells at her concern.

Clearly, she thinks I'm troubled. I am, but I don't want to just talk about myself. I want to lend her my listening ear. "No, it's not that. It's just that I think I haven't been a good friend towards you, especially after I got together with Kyle. What did I miss while I was away?"

Blaire knows I've caught her. She averts her gaze and holds her drink in hand, chewing on her straw to hide her hesitation. "Crap," she mutters. "Am I that obvious?"

"Yeah."

She let out a small groan, burying her face in her hands. "Promise me you won't judge?"

I move closer to her and place a hand on her shoulder. "I won't. You are my friend."

"I don't doubt that." She lifts her head and bites on her bottom lip, hesitating. "Ian and I... We sort of patched up."

My eyes flicker where Ian is and I see him chugging water from his bottle, but also sneaking a glance in our way. "I can tell that."

Blaire runs a hand over her face, looking small and embarrassed. It's a side of her I've never seen before and I'm amused. She leans in towards me and whispers, "look. I overheard Mom fighting with her boyfriend on Monday night over the call. She brought out the B word."

"B word?"

"Breakup," she explains quickly. "She never uses that word unless she's tired of him and ready to move on. That's who she is. She thrives on the fluttery feeling of falling in love, but backs away when the relationship moves on to the real deal. I think her marriage with Dad broke her."

"Anyway, I did Ian's dad a huge favor." Her admittance has my jaw dropping in horror. "Don't give me that look. Mom deserves to have a taste of her own medicine. Often she's the one doing the dumping, but this time, I let him do the honors. I sent him a screenshot of her texting another man—it's real, okay?—and next thing you know, he called off their relationship."

Suddenly, I'm afraid for her. "Blaire, but she's your mother. Won't she be mad at you for doing that?"

Her shrug and tone are nonchalant. "Whatever. I'm so sick and tired of seeing her hanging out with different guys. They keep entering my house so often that it no longer feels like a home."