Rebirth

Quick author note; this is my first story. Let me know, anyone reading, if you prefer 1st person (I, me pronouns) or 2nd person (you,your pronouns). I'll be writing in 1st person for now, and if anyone ends up reading this and wants me to change pov, I'd be glad to. Anyways enjoy 

. ⋅ ˚̣- : ✧ : – ⭒ ⊹ ⭒ – : ✧ : -˚̣⋅ .

What is justice? Is there even a definitive answer to that question? In todays world, the word 'justice' is tossed around so lightly, as if society had forgotten it's true weight. I don't like to be the jackass who has to add their opinion on other's matter, but when I hear things as unjust as "violent acts against minoritized groups is justified" whether the minoritized group be constructed around race, sexuality, or religion, I can't help but start an argument. My friends say I'm too into things that are beyond my control; that I should focus on the things in front of me. While I nod my head to satisfy their concern, I still have hope somewhere inside that I could be the change this world needs.

The problem with this hope of mine is that I'm still a 17 year-old, lazy high school student. Am I a good student? No. Does that make me unintelligent? No. In public, I set my image as a care-free, ditsy, easy-to-get-along-with kind of student. This act has gained myself some popularity, I do say so myself. The reality, though, is that I personally can't stand anybody. That makes me sound like a bad person, I know. I believe this roots from my physical insecurities, or so my mom says. I believe my hatred for many people could be linked to internalized jealousy that's manifested itself into greater power. So, that's why I try to hold an image that distracts people from the way I look. Although I'm not necessarily a people-person, I live off the validation and popularity I receive from others. There's nothing medically wrong with my appearance, I just have never been able to validate my looks myself. 

I seek opinions from others to make my own about myself. Validation or reassurance from others is the only way I ever feel confident in myself physically. 

But who cares about that, right? I shake the thoughts from my head, tuning back in to the lesson my teacher had been teaching for who-knows how long. 

"Yagami, can you please read the following sentence aloud?" I look over towards the desk by the window, the desk Light Yagami occupied. I've known that kid since fifth grade, when I moved next-door to him. I chuckled silently as he stood up, sighing. 

"Follow the teachings of God, and receive his blessings; and so it shall be, that the seas will become bountiful, and the raging storms will subside." He sat back in his seat, rested his chin back in his palm, and stared back out the window, as if he were annoyed. Not that I really care, but I should probably ask him why he seems so distracted. Or, maybe I'll just tell him that he looks atrocious, just to play with his ego a little. 

It took some time, but finally the bell rung, and school was done for the day. I catch up to Light in the halls, punch him in the arm for not waiting for me, then greet him.

"Light, my favorite person," I tease.

"Hey, Y/N," he greets as he casually punches my arm back. 

"You seem off today, you're slightly uglier than normal," I remark with a sarcastically sympathetic tone. 

"Oh, please. Let me put that statement to the test." His ego shines through his cocky smile. "Watch this," he whispers to me before stopping in his tracks, and turning his attention towards a random girl in the hall.

"Hey, Takada." I could hear the flirtatious tone in his voice. Oh, this arrogant asshole.

"Oh! Light! Hi!" Flustered, Takada fixed her hair as she failed to hide the blush on her cheeks. Light leaned against the locker next to her, giving her that douchey smirk of his. 

"I was wondering if you maybe wanted to go to the movies, just you and me." 

"Of course!" Shaking, she wrote something down on a piece of paper. "Here's my number, text me about it!" Takada shoved the slip of paper into Light's palm, before running off.

"You always take things too far, you asswipe," I shove him lightly as we continue walking.

"Hey, anything to prove you wrong."

"And what are you planning to do about that date?"

"Going to the movies doesn't sound that bad."

"Okay, but it's a date."

"You sound jealous, Y/N," he teases, his smile could be heard in his voice. 

"Jealous of a girl who's about to get stood up by the school's biggest asshole? Nope, I don't think I'm jealous," I say bluntly, using my arm to shield the sun from my eyes as we enter the courtyard. 

"Ouch, is that really how you think of me?" He laughed. "Anyways, I saw something fall into the courtyard around here during class, I wanted to see what it was."

"Well-" my sentence was cut short by some other feminine voice.

"Light! Over here!" A group of girls waved Light over to them. He pats my head as he leaves to answer his calling. He's doing all this just to annoy me. You know what? I'm not even going to wait for him to start walking home. That asshole can walk alone. As I try to walk away, my foot meets with a hard surface that certainly wasn't pavement. 

Curiously, I lift my foot, almost eager to see what I stepped on. I squat down to pick it up; this must've been the thing that Light wanted to check out. I shove it in my bag before I could even examine the book. I look over to Light, who's conversing among a group of giggling girls. He definitely didn't notice me taking that book. With that, I continued walking home.