Chapter 1

He's late."

She thought. The sound of her heels clicking against the floor echoed through the empty halls of the library. Rows and rows of books laid upon the either sides,old and new, big and small, were all neatly arranged in particular order related to subjects and then alphabetical orders. She stopped for a moment to investigate a certain book wondering if it would help them with their project.

Even as a child, Sarada had always felt a strange sense of kinship with the books. Being the only child of her parents and even her family, Sarada had spent a major portion of her days secluded in the vast stretches of the library of the Uchiha mansion. Nose buried in books of legends and myths, of history and mystery was a day to day occurance in her childhood life.

So when she finally moved out for higher studies, the University library became an important part of her daily routine.

But at the moment her presence here, just two days before christmas was of utmost importance. She didn't know what possessed her teacher's to have this brilliant idea of adding a high grade scoring thesis project on their schedules deliberately on the festive season. Sarada's nose crinkled in displeasure. They were supposed to have fun! Cooped up inside her home writing a thirty page assignment was not her idea of celebrating Christmas.

Another sigh escaped her lips. Well, this book did have some stuff to the point. It was fortunate that this project was to be completed in pairs of your choice. Naturally, she teamed up with him. And now again, when the subject of him arose back, she remembered - he's late. It was neither common for him to be late nor was it to be always punctual. Maybe he's just forgotten about it? Midst of maintaining his grades and regular soccer practices, there were times when he would forget about things, meetings, gatherings and even events. So she slid her phone out of her pocket but stopped at the sound of heavy footsteps approaching. Something told her that it's not him. The rhythm of the steps was just way too wrong to be him and her suspicions are proven to be true when she turns around.

It's another guy - from Commerce faction. What was his name again? Horiko? Hariko? Oh yes, Horio! He smiled at her with what he assumed must be a charming smile. She didn't want to tell him but he looks ridiculous with that look.

She smiled awkwardly, "Is there anything I can help you with?"

Not sensing the reluctance in her smile, she grimaced when he seemed to be encouraged by it. He leaned against the frame of the shelf, trying to look cool but honestly it doesn't suit him. She wanted to say it but then bit her tongue to not come out as rude.

"Um,Yes. Actually I was wondering if, I mean, would you like to be my date? For the christmas ball?"

Sarada inherently resisted the urge to roll her eyes, "I'm sorry Horio. But I don't think I'll be available in that particular duration of time."

She gave him a stiff smile and a side nod to acknowledge that the conversation was over. And then immediately turned back to browse through the multiple books of interest, waiting eagerly for his footsteps to retreat. But rather she was met with this.

"You're playing hard to get, aren't you?"

A flare of indignation lit up inside her at his words. What part of not being available did this guy had trouble understanding? She turned back to glare at him.

"Horio. I am not 'playing hard to get'! I will be off to my grandparents' house."

Her eyes grew wide at his audacity of stepping closer and going as far as speaking to her in an accusatory manner.

"You're lying! If you had to leave, you would have already left."

Sarada closed her eyes for a moment and let out a deep breath to control the urge to punch him.