Chapter 4

Zenitsu and Inosuke returned to the room in clean robes; uniforms draped over their arms. Already dressed, Nezuko sat on the floor before Tanjiro, who was engrossed in brushing her hair. Music played faintly from outside.

"Bath's open," Inosuke announced, aggressively combing his fingers through his damp hair to detangle it. He dreaded this part of bathing. But cutting his hair any shorter would expose his face more than he could stand.

"Alright! I'll go once I'm done here." Tanjiro was in no rush to finish his task.

As Inosuke watched him work gingerly from end to root, so as not to cause her any pain, he was overcome with a sort of longing again. He envisioned himself seated beside Nezuko, waiting for his turn. But he feared he'd lose his independence should he continue to let Tanjiro do things for him. If he could manage his own hair, there was no reason to ask. And it seemed safer to keep it that way. He looked down at the small wet knot of hair in his palm.

   "What's with the music?" Zenitsu wondered aloud, rubbing his towel back and forth over his head.

    "There's a band playing outside," Tanjiro explained. "People are dancing to it. I was actually thinking—since the sun just set, it might be fun if we joined in a while before bed!"

    Zenitsu was practically squealing with enthusiasm at the thought of dancing with Nezuko. It was a milestone of intimacy they hadn't yet passed. "Yes!" he blurted. "Come on, get dressed!" He playfully elbowed Inosuke's side; quickly halted by a half-hearted slap across his cheek.

    Tanjiro grinned. "I still have to wash up quick, but you guys are welcome to head out without me. I'll come find you!" he said, patting his sister's head. Once he left the room, Nezuko turned away to give the boys privacy, covering her eyes for good measure.

    "Okay, this is important," Zenitsu noted, untying his robe. "Can you dance?"

    "Hell no." Inosuke stepped into his pants, keeping his eyes to himself. He wished Zenitsu would leave him alone. There was a lot on his mind, and he wanted to chip away at it in peace.

    "Good to know. I was gonna tell you to impress him with your moves, but I think this works better!" He giggled as he buttoned his uniform shirt.

    "Huh?" Zenitsu's giddy attitude irked him.

    "You're gonna let him teach you! It'll be the perfect time for you to bond!" He slid his sandals on.

    As Inosuke tried to pull his mask over his head, Zenitsu grabbed him by the arm. "Keep that thing off for once, will you?"

    "Get off me!" Inosuke angrily shook himself free. He hated being bossed around, and it was even more infuriating when the orders came from Zenitsu.

    "Ugh! Quit being so moody! If Tanjiro can see your face, things just might start to work in your favor! I mean, imagine how unromantic it would be to dance with a boar. That mask reeks, too. If I can smell it, you know he can." Zenitsu rested his hands on his hips. "We're decent, by the way, Nezuko."

   Inosuke hesitantly set his mask on the floor again. Perhaps Zenitsu had a point, though he wouldn't acknowledge it.

   Nezuko turned towards them; a puzzled look on her face. Unromantic? she thought. Did Inosuke have a thing for her brother? She'd seen him get flustered around him on several occasions. But Inosuke was an oddball. There were a wealth of things about him that hardly made sense, so she hadn't really paid it any mind.

Seeing the cogs turning behind her eyes, Zenitsu wanted so desperately to tell her everything. But a promise was a promise, he supposed. At least for now. He settled on a wink.