The Big Day

The living room was filled with the aroma of freshly cooked garlic rice, bacon and egg.

Mike watched the early morning news while he ate breakfast with his parents.

The news featured rallies happening around the world, protesting for the eviction of the EDGErs. And then news suddenly featured the EDGEr Apprentice Selection Day. It was the first of its kind in the country and Ramon Magsaysay High School was chosen to be the venue of the screening.

"The event is going to be held in your school and you did not even tell me about it?" Joey spit out the coffee saying.

"Dad, you're the one who always watch the news. I thought you knew." Mike said, drinking his chocolate drink bottoms up.

"Do you know about this?" Joey asked Lira. She did not reply.

"Relax dad, it's not like there's going to be an alien invasion." Mike said sarcastically.

"You don't know that." Joey said, glacing at her.

"Will you give you son a break please, Joey?" she said.

"So, how does that go? How will the selection be done? he asked.

"They're going to choose representatives in every section in fourth year. They will compete for the spot. Twenty will be chosen as EDGEr Apprentices to join the corps." Mike said.

"Who is representing your section?" Joey pointed his finger at Mike, "I don't want you to join that screening, Mike."

"I have to go. I'll be late." Mike grabbed his backpack, kissed his mom, "Bye mom."

He went out of the door without saying goodbye to his father.

Joey looked at Lira, "Look at him, he only said goodbye to you."

"Can you blame him? Everybody wants to get inside the EDGEr apprenticeship program. Why should he be any different?" she said.

"You know why. I was just protecting him." he said.

Lira sighed, shaking her head, "We would need to have a serious talk with him one of these days. I can feel it."

A boy ran after Mike as he walked his way towards the school. He had been waiting for him to pass by.

"Hey... I can't believe you just passed me by? You forgot that everyday you walk with your best friend?" Jerrick asked.

Mike looked back, "Sorry. I'm just frustrated my dad prohibited me to go for the selection event." Mike said, scratching his head.

"Why?"

"I don't know what's with him. He just said 'NO' with such a conviction." Mike shook his head.

"Well, he can't see everything, right?"

"Yeah, but he can make my life difficult when I'm at home."

"So...don't stay at home."

"I cannot run away from home. Where would I go?"

"Well, I didn't say you run away from home, dummy. I'm saying... spend more time outside when he's home. You can stay longer at my house."

"My dad is at home in the evening so what am i gonna do, sleep over at your place?"

"I didn't say that either. My mom would not let anyone sleep at home." Jerrick said, "So, are you excited?"

"Who wouldn't be? It's not every day that we have visitors from another planet visit our school to select people who would go with them to outer space." Mike said grinning.

The traffic started to build up on España Boulevard, the congestion stretched as far as the eyes could see.

Two alien hovercrafts passed over them, on its way to their school.